The Official Work Pictures Thread

I saved one big clean lead for my homemade sawmill set to debut in a week after the last of the tweeking.
It is a shame but it will likely rot away. It would be nice to find a end user.

Nice work Joel. Sean, live oak is tough stuff. Tough to saw, extremely dense and heavy with twisted grain. A hinge has to be cut almost completely through to work. Normal mismatch cuts and snap a piece off? Not happening. It makes great firewood with one of the highest btu ratings but is impossible to split by hand. I don't know of anyone around here who mills it. It's also unique in that some pieces will lay on the ground for many years and not rot, like fat lighter (pitch pine) and turn as hard as concrete. I guarantee you Joel was pooped after tackling that monster.

if that is the same species referred to as Live Oak in California, it is a twisty wood to dry. Used somewhat for structural members in shipbuilding due to the strength, and possibly some other parts, and i suppose you could use it to make some small things for interiors. There aren't many hardwoods that you can't produce anything out of. A boatbuilder friend on the Tomales Bay would mill it up sometimes.

Jay, the California live oak and Southern live oak are two different species. I'd guess they are fairly similar, but have some differences in wood characteristic. I only have experience with the southern variety, as I first started climbing in central Texas.

Big steep hill it's laying on......it will just rot away.

I saved one big clean lead for my homemade sawmill set to debut in a week after the last of the tweeking.
It is a shame but it will likely rot away. It would be nice to find a end user.

What a shame...folks are about ready to start burning their furniture & out buildings here, due to a firewood shortage.

We have a species very similar to the Quercus virginiana, Jay, Quercus chrysolepis. Canyon live oak aka golden cup.
Very similar in grain and structure. The live oaks you are more familiar with, coastal or interior are the twisty hard to dry stuff.

What a shame...folks are about ready to start burning their furniture & out buildings here, due to a firewood shortage.

I agree, and normally would never leave this stem to rot. There's no way to get anything in there to winch it up the hill. The biggest thing in my mind is that I can drive up to all the wood I need in other places. In the time it would take to collect this one stem, I could have many loads bucked and split.

Love nick, do you spur up palms?

If not, how are you setting a line. And -how in the world do you even feel comfortable ascending it?

Euc Wednesday!

Boy, it sure hard finding a good climber these days..haha :lol:

Bix dreaming of cranes, chippers and self loaders 8)

this branch I dropped was a good 35ft long, sure made some noise!

Euc man Bix way up there

2 days, 2 full loads of Euc chips

Great photo, BOATS! What do you do with sawdust?
Here are some of my of many of the trees today

Thanks Andrey! loving your pics as well ;)

We leave the chips on site or dump locally for free...I never drive more than 5 miles to dump, saves me time and money

Bought a mini yesterday. Its a Boxer tl224. Mike McCauley's old unit. A small one but the price was right and the hours were low. If it works out, Ill upgrade. Im eager to see how it helps on jobs once I order the BMG. Called about it today. Hoping to have one here in a jiffy.

Back