The Official Work Pictures Thread

There's a watercress farm in the uk that have spent years and £££££s setting up a wasabi growing operation, research is difficult as the industry in Japan is very closed and suspicious of outsiders. They are now selling top grade wasabi though, very pricey stuff. Most of the cheap wasabi products actually contain horseradish and some green colouring, and very little if any actual wasabi.

Thanks, Leon.

Interesting, Peter. Maybe the Japanese got wise or something? The guy next to my shop spent a number of years learning how to raise shitake mushrooms, plus a large investment to get it going. After he was able to market his production, one of the first to reach that point, every now and then I would see a whole slew of Korean guys snooping around his place, brought out there by the agricultural association. They were making some money giving these tours, and so was my neighbor, but I thought it was a pretty dumb move myself. Wouldn't you know, a few years later Korean cheap shitake imports drove my neighbor out of business and he had to sell off most of his land to pay back his loan. He showed them how to do it! I don't know that there is reason to be cautious of the Brits, but the Koreans and Chinese can do things very cheaply, there is reason to be careful. A hundred year old industry could easily go down the tubes very quick.

Excellent how they use the water as it passes their site. Water is amazing, truly a life giving substance. Thanks for the pictures...I second Leon...they are always exceptional.

Thanks, Leon.

Interesting, Peter. Maybe the Japanese got wise or something? The guy next to my shop spent a number of years learning how to raise shitake mushrooms, plus a large investment to get it going. After he was able to market his production, one of the first to get it going, every now and then I would see a whole slew of Korean guys snooping around his place, brought out there by the agricultural association. They were making some money giving these tours, and so was my neighbor, but I thought it was a pretty dumb move myself. Wouldn't you know, a few years later Korean cheap shitake imports drove my neighbor out of business and he had to sell off most of his land to pay back his loan. He showed them how to do it! I don't know that there is reason to be cautious of the Brits, but the Koreans and chinese can do things very cheaply, there is reason to be careful. A hundred year old industry could easily go down the tubes very quick.

The video is worth a watch.

http://www.thewasabicompany.co.uk/countryfile

(note to Butch, can't embed it as its part of an external website)

Thanks for the comments on the pics. :)

Peter, one thing that appears different to me from the way they grow it there and here, is that i don't think I have ever see it in big clumps, like in the video. I often see people down in the wasabi creeks working, I guess pruning the plants...? More a manicured thing. They like to fuss over what they grow. Probably not wasabi, but other stuff with blemishes gets rejected, even if the taste is the same. God forbid you might see a cucumber in the market that is curved. :O Some of the big wasabi farms out in the open are very attractive places, rows and rows of green with clear water flowing lazily by. They will bus in tourists. Every year the largest tax payer in town is a wasabi farm. Kind of expensive for a larger root here too, but sixty pounds, wow! Six or seven dollars here, maybe 2/3 the size of that one. Wonder if the taste might be lessened by letting them grow so big like in the vid, or become tough?

Wasabi! It's a word I just enjoy saying.

Cool info and pics as always. You're the Japanese connection.

I know one Japanese girl from aways back Yuka. From Sapporro sp?

She told me Ichi ban means number one! Is that true Jay?

Yeh, Sapporo, way up north. I have a woodworking fool friend up there. Good teacher, that is what it means, Squish. Tell your lady that she is ichiban.

Climbed this 100ft ponderosa to inspect what was left of the top...HO said it broke off about 15 years ago and put 8 good size holes in roof and messed up deck a bit.

Despite some sap and one bad branch that has to go at top, everything looked fine, get out some dead wood as well

Working my through the limbs, mabey half way up

A nice view Jay thanks! Did this lil ugly yesterday. Had to change the plan after finding this thankfully the last remaining vines were reachable so I could just set up a block and the puller. uploadfromtaptalk1391368847869.jpg
The vine load.
uploadfromtaptalk1391368956491.jpg

Yea these days I think I would rather corn row brush on a double fall line than deal with vines but it comes with the climbing around here quite frequently.

Good pics Black Oak.
Personally, if I had a 100+ footer that close to the house that had already done damage,I'd be sharpening the 066.

La Becasse thanks

Yes, I would probably wanted it gone if it was my place as well, just to close to home, but on the other hand he had a ton of other trees that tall and all around his home :|:

Back