The Official Work Pictures Thread

Tucker943,

Thanks for the info. I was curious, mainly because I see the ratings on these ropes and tackle and keep thinking to myself that I'll never reach the working load limit on even my small stuff.

Joel

Are you taking into account shocking the rope? I can break rope with smallish wood if I shock it hard enough. We all can.

Like any good climber, he takes each tree one cut at a time and maximizes his potential based on the gear, the tree, and the guy in the crane or on the ropes.

That is a great, great way to put it. It's so basic, it's profound, imo.

Chris, you can see that your "uncle threads" generate alot of interest in the 'House! More pics!!
Hey I was still wondering, when you took out those 40' leaders, how where they tied generally, at the butt or more mid point?

Right at the butt. Balanced out with a mid point tie would have created a new version of hell for us on the ground. We were in a fenced backyard along a pool, beside a house. In no way shape or form could we have fit those pieces down into the work zone balanced out. Those leaders pointed tips down and when the tips hit the ground they had to be cut, lowered, cut again, lowered, etc.

Had the tree not had serious height, theres no way we could have lowered leaders that long without them swinging into the side of the house. We had the height to let those big leads sweep out gracefully over the house and back into the rigging tree. Rigging tree comes down soon.

Hey Page, do you make a snap cut for every cut?? Kinda cool how every picture you are handing out the piece. Gotta be snap cuts, right?

I never use snap cuts... I just push.

2nklvkl.gif

Planting with no tractor??

Nice that you get a wide range of experience working there.

I never use snap cuts either but I saw in every picture his saw was hung up, so figered that was the only explanation I could come up with. Interesting to see how everybody works....

Nice job Nick. It is nice to see someone plant a tree with the soil at the correct height!

We have been doing more and more planting. It really is a nice change of pace.

Nice job Nick. It is nice to see someone plant a tree with the soil at the correct height!

We have been doing more and more planting. It really is a nice change of pace.

What sucks is that on those two pear trees (only one pictured) the HO wanted them planted in the same place where she had two large stumps ground out, yet when she had a 3rd party (read: not us) grind them (even though we told her to instruct them to grind them deep) they only ground the stumps down 12 or 16 inches. The HO didnt want to listen about planting them somewhere different or having the stumps reground, so they went in on top of the old stumps. The crappiest part was the rootballs were atleast 24" deep so we had to essentially bareroot them and support them with ropes until we got the dirt back in then switch the ropes out with #9 wire and earth anchors.

The Arborvitaes had the biggest ball I ever saw on an arb, we were a little unprepared for the size.

Mini moves balls better ................

You ever see these? The nursery we buy from has much larger ones on full size skid steers and they can move big trees with amazing ease. I was super impressed the first time I saw them lift, manipulate, turn, and load a tree virtually horizontally into the truck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hv1oP_i25iw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey Page, do you make a snap cut for every cut?? Kinda cool how every picture you are handing out the piece. Gotta be snap cuts, right?
Yeah in those pictures I was. gonna hang up the saw anyway when I move down. also I can get the pieces to land more flat. I've had one go wrong the other day when I just went to push it off while I was cutting and it held on long enough to swing under and shoot off the other way. big piece too. almost got my foot.

I never use snaps cuts unless I want the limb to land flat. For big wood, I NEVER use it. Too much work for my taste.

Here's a photo of my number one helper (chipper operator) and our new loader. He is getting acquainted with it so we don't have to have an operator from maintenance load a few logs for us and take them away from their own work. Pretty slick compared to the old 70's model it replaced.

IMG_0025.jpg

Bob,

Nice loader! Will you be fitting it up with a grapple? I don't have remote hydraulic outlets on my loader, so I use forks on my Kubota. A grapple would be much better.

Joel

Back