The Official Work Pictures Thread

One would have to exercise a lot of care and caution in using that for life support. I can easily see it as a secondary TIP, but as a primary one I'd be a bit sketched with it. Probably no real good reason, just the open hook aspect of it seems...questionable? I dunno, might need to sit with that one a bit.

This might be one of the problems with being an old climber...we've seen too many things go sideways, and we're no longer convinced that we are bulletproof :).

I was thinking that too. If your line ever goes slack, you could be in trouble. Having it very close as a temporary tie in is probably fine, but I like a little more certainty in my support.

You're still tied in with your main climb line, you can just toss it and it'll hold you so you can climb over there. No longer are you limited to where you can physically climb to, or the routes needed to go there, you simply toss, ascend while letting out your climb line as needed, then lanyard in and maybe even redirect to your new area. So handy when doing spreading trees, simply toss and float to your next limb/ work area. I'll even use it to pull small stuff to you so you don't even need to move to hit it.

What size line do you have on your hook, and what friction device?

I have a grappling hook that I use on a length of rated rope with a hitch climber pulley and hitch sometimes. I don't use it as life support, though. It's just a way to traverse between trees OR to move between different parts of a large canopy so that I can then install a redirect. I use it as a work positioning tool as well, in conjunction with my main climbing system, which is usually SRS but sometimes MRS. It can be a lot of fun, but if the hook were to ever dislodge, I would take a pretty nasty swing during a traverse, but it's never happened. The Captain Hook by DMM is much better suited for the task than a three prong grappling hook, which can be more likely to sometimes get stuck in undesirable placements.

EDIT: I often use my foot ascender to help me pull myself toward another tree using the rope attached to the grappling hook.

Looks to me like he's using it as his main tie in with a ropewrench.
i never use it as my main tip, but if it would fail it can still be very sketchy. i always clean stubs in case i swing back to my main tip.

i use 20 m of courant rebel 11mm, thinner lines will obviously fly further but this 11mm stuff is easier to manipulate. getting your hook stuck is a resl problem and that‘s why people say you shouldn’t use it on the end of your main climbline.

Rostral columns are two architectural columns in St. Petersburg, which symbolize the power and victories of the Russian navy, and originally served as lanterns of the port of the capital of the Russian Empire.

Today, Rostral columns are a majestic symbol of St. Petersburg.

They are located on the eastern tip of the Spit of Vasilievsky Island, on both sides of the Stock Exchange Square at a distance of about 200 meters from each other.

The columns are 32 meters high. They are decorated with rostrums and three-dimensional sculptures

IMG_9498.jpeg
The rostral columns were erected in 1805-1810 by the French architect Thomas de Thomon. At that time, even before the columns were erected, Peter I decided to organize the city center on Vasilyevsky Island, where a trading port with warehouses and commercial buildings was moved from the Kronverkskaya Bayou at the mouth of the Malaya Neva River and built: The Old and New Gostiny Dvor, the Exchange building, Warehouses and Customs.

The opening of the Rostral columns took place in 1815. Initially, and until 1885, the columns served as lighthouse lanterns for ships. The columns were lit at night and in the fog.

Today, the columns are lit only on particularly significant events and on the days of the "Scarlet Sails" - the holiday of graduates of schools. The columns are also called "Torches". IMG_9499.jpeg IMG_9500.jpeg

Last edited:
i worked on this previously topped oak today…many, many cut‘s later i‘m tired :)

kinda nice to be able to chip into the trashbin instead of carrying the branches to the street.

Attachments

• IMG_6618.jpeg
    IMG_6618.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6619.jpeg
    IMG_6619.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 8
  • camphoto_1691952160.jpeg
    camphoto_1691952160.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 8
Lightly pruned a crap Myrtle, Japanese maple, and a yellow tree. Objectives: ground clearance, pull back from home, deadwood clearing, remove crossing and wayward branches. Filled the 5x10 trailer pretty good. I enjoyed working in the snow.

Attachments

• IMG_8650.jpeg
    IMG_8650.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8649.jpeg
    IMG_8649.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8648.jpeg
    IMG_8648.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8647.jpeg
    IMG_8647.jpeg