The Official Work Pictures Thread

Felled that standing dead black oak today. Half had split away when another tree fell and sheared it off. Weight and lean was toward the apartment building. Had a 3/4” stable braid on it with two 2-ton Come-a-Longs and a 9/16” stable braid 90* to the lay to oppose the lean.
Face cut minimal depth (just under 1/3rd) as I knew it had cracks running down through the trunk (38” DBH).
Young man helping me had never seen a tree this size dropped. All went to plan! The back half of the trunk split away on impact.
IMG_8562.jpeg
IMG_8567.jpeg
IMG_8568.jpeg

Did my first mulberries. My friend and next door neighbor purchased a new rental unit and the back was overgrown. I did it for 1/3 of normal charges (work at his house has been free) since it’s a business. Wires, wires everywhere and a fence below. (2) 16” dbh and one 6” dbh. Approx 55’ These had vines galore and I couldn’t see the wild grape tying the limb tips together. I think I had 7 limbs hung up at once. Lots of tip tying pulling 25’ pieces away from wires. Lots of up and down. Put 6 hours into it over 2 days. No cleanup!!!!! They ooze that white sticky sap that coat all the gear and saws.

I missed you John!

Attachments

• IMG_7787.jpeg
    IMG_7787.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7788.jpeg
    IMG_7788.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7786.jpeg
    IMG_7786.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7783.jpeg
    IMG_7783.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7782.jpeg
    IMG_7782.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
I like that ivy wreath! You should've called. I couldn't have gone yesterday, but I could have come up today. Mulberry's a hassle. So many limbs, and they just do what they want and lock together. It's one of the most unkempt trees I've dealt with.

I find the layers comfortable and of course readily adjustable as needed . How does that work with a jumpsuit? It seems that if you are comfortable in a jumpsuit in cold, early morning temps, later when you are working hard and the day warms up, you will be too hot in the jumpsuit?
I’m a layer guy myself.

Maybe the temperature doesn’t fluctuate much from morning to afternoon where Andrej is?

I like that ivy wreath! You should've called. I couldn't have gone yesterday, but I could have come up today. Mulberry's a hassle. So many limbs, and they just do what they want and lock together. It's one of the most unkempt trees I've dealt with.
I don’t want to bother you as you just got the chipper and were busy figuring it out. I just had Jeff (owner) and his son hold some ropes and do little things. He cut up all the small stuff on the ground and kept the DZ clear. But, It’s not the same as working with somebody experienced. Also, we make a good team as we’ve done quite a few together.

Edit to add: Also, Jeff wanted to help so he could run a saw and be part of the most awesome work known to man.

Last edited:
@Maximalist But even if the temp stays fairly steady, don't you start to sweat in the jump suit when you are working hard at times? And we can all agree that sweating in cold temps is very bad.

I wonder how many folks use cordage these days instead of mechanicals?

IMG_7419.jpeg IMG_7420.jpeg IMG_7422.jpeg Finished a job that another crew started but messed up pretty bad. Only pictures I took besides the damages they caused. Not gonna post them. The crew leader earned himself a week off because of this. Probably would be fired if he wasn’t the bosses nephew. Mistakes happen but this was carelessness. Anyhow I had to stay to clean up the stump grindings with the mini. Full restoration happening tomorrow.

Back