The Official Work Pictures Thread

Damn that 572xp is a smooth runner ... no vibration and she cuts like a banshee - not the fastest saw in me fleet but definitely the one I’m grabbing if I’m doing a chit-ton of cutting

Sorry no pics today as it was boring. Large red oak prune. Mostly dead wood with some over hanging and over extended limbs. Kid I’m teaching to climb is doing well though. Even seeing how blending between SRT and Drt is highly beneficial. Gonna talk with the boss about keeping him with me for a while till we get through all the oak prunes at least. To bad I have a technical removal tomorrow ( most likely into Wednesday) but he will be there to help and observe.
sorry but I’ll take a pic of my loaded wood burner later.

21F98B42-ADF5-4838-8E6F-D1B842F70C00.jpeg Just under 3 face cord (or if you reside in the land of fruits and nuts just under 1 full cord) of WNY ash diced up in 25mins with the Hotwoods ported 572xp ... I followed the advice of our resident guru @stig and touched up the chain (but it was only 89.5% sharp not 90% like he recommended) and was able to cut it all on 1 tank (1.6 pints) with a splash of gas Stihl in the tank ( like to see a stock 500i do that!)...The chain is at 87.65% sharp so I will have to touch it up before the next session

Last edited:
Locust ftw. Its 95% of what i burn
So far, the longest and hottest burning stuff I’ve found locally is honey locust and some cultivars of it. According to the green log weight chart, it’s about as heavy as I’ll find in my area, and it doesn’t lose much weight after it’s seasoned. Super dense stuff.

Actually I just had a bite to eat and a cigar and now I’m going to split it with Fiskars 8lb maul until dark ... 3 face/day cut/split is a cakewalk for me now that the vigor has returned ... I did have a 58yr old concrete guy help me with the red oak and he was whooped after 4 face cord ... lotta ooo,ahh,eee, ohs comin from him... He agreed it’s more work than concrete and I STIHL think it WAY more work than felling trees despite what our resident guru @stig believes

Why? The SuperSplit does not have a log lift , therefore YOU are the log lift. Ash is pretty easy splitting , so on lg diameter 100lb+ rounds I use a Fiskars 8lb maul to half or quarter them into more user-friendly size. It’s easier on my and the helps back ... hydraulic splitter s/u vertically wood do the same it’s just that I’m a thrifty gent and can’t see dropping the coin on one , especially when 1 or 2 powerful swings getr done and ya get the exercise

If by your question you mean have I done real logging in Denmark ... No ... here is how we roll here in WNY ... “Uncle Harvey” will show the straight -goods ........

I finally took the time to watch this, or mostly so. Frankie, if this gentleman represents the epitome of WNY logging, I find myself stunned. Seriously, surely there are guys up there that can actually move around on the ground. Or cut more accurately than that.

Tell ya what Stig , that “fat guy”, despite your preconceived limitations , can , and will BURY a lot of “loggers” by noon with a 7am start ...

Just not believable..."Uncle Harvey" can barely walk, based on the vid you yourself chose to post.

Last edited:
I’ve got till 2 tomorrow to get it down before a long holiday weekend. I’ll be off till Tuesday but Monday I have to get my DOT physical and go to hell (BMV) to show proof. My drug test is known to anyone that requires it but the BMV needs to see my physical for some reason. Even though the facility and program we go through is DOT

Back