The Official Work Pictures Thread

Why do otherwise reasonably intelligent people do that???
I'd do it for the right tree. Not something that gets huge growth rings, but an oak I would, or maybe something like a dawn redwood. The tree above is a little close to the house though. I'd have some concerns regarding the roots on the house side, either attacking the foundation, or perhaps leaving it weakly anchored on that side.

I currently have a white oak ~6' out my back door, and about 2' from my gutter. The squirrels planted it. Still not sure what I'm gonna do about it. It's ~6"DBH, and leaning towards the house. It should come out I guess, but I like it there. Just watching and waiting for the time being...

edit:
On the subject of the oak... Could that thing be pulled upright(over time) at this point, or has that ship sailed? Getting it straight would make me feel better about it. If it were straight, it wouldn't be a problem in my lifetime...

Last edited:
Pictures would help. It might be possible, but why is it growing with a lean if it started from a seed?

Probably growing towards the sun. I'd have to really look at it, and note the sky cover in relation to the lean, but I think it's growing towards the best hole for sun.

If it is growing towards your house because other trees or structures are filling the other areas, trying to straightened it out will not work. Trees will always try to maximize growth towards the available light.

Yea, that occurred to me once I said it. Even if the tree could be manipulated now, it would be unsustainable long term, with long term defined as me having to deal with it before death. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it. Not a huge deal really, but it's cool having it there. It brings tree rats right up to the back door, and gives them an easy escape if a cat shows up.

Stig: Thanks for that amazing run of pictures and back-story to go with it. So amazing to hear about your training that gal... and I though Fiona was the only one who could do treework well!

Sean: Super cool to see you working alongside yer gal also. Cool pics. Thanks.

Mick: What is that White Fir?? Man that nasty thing had about a billion limbs on it... boney son of a gun. Good pictures.

Ruel: Wow, you guys are putting some nice work up man. So cool to see yer stuff these days.

John: Those saws that looked white in the picture were really just Stilhs.... I smashed my phone, but they just ordered me another one so hopefully I'll get some better pics. Those were a ms440, and an 044. The 044 is modded by Gordy to within an inch of it's life. I wanna get some vids up in here of that pig destroying other saws... man, that thing cracks!

Did you get Sean Ruel's Rope Wrench yet?... My wife said it shoulda been there by today, but I would almost think Monday. Finally got all my stinkin firewood in, and can't wait for stuff to slow down a bit so I can get in here more often.

Burnham: How are ya?!

Corey: What's UP ma' man!?

Hasn't come yet Jed. Mail's been a little weird lately though. Same week would be a best case scenario imo. Monday is a better estimate I think.

J E D I D A H!!! Nice to read ya!

You'll never believe what I've been up to::: Just WORKING!!!!

I put the Cummins-powered Terex in the shop at Cummins for a leaking exhaust gasket and whatever emissions work it needed as a 7 y o truck, they said it would take a week. Well, 3 full weeks later I had the truck back after they broke the radiator, turbo, and harmonic dampener in the process. They paid for those items but the 3 week truck downtime was absolutely brutal. Who woulda thought cummins would be basically clueless to work on a cummins engine. After the fact, they pleaded staffing problems due to Covid, yeah thanks for telling me now.

We're booked to forever and one interesting job coming up is the crane removal of an absolutely enormous (4'x110') sugar maple in a very tight spot between two mansions of circa 1800 vintage. Gonna bring in The Ninja for that one:boogie:

We been missing your vids here, cmon man post one up!

I guess they're gonna be saw logs? What length to you cut at? I'm always undecided, so I leave them as long as possible. I figure it's easier making them shorter than making them longer :^D

Heavy wood. In my experiences it does not hinge well. At least the limbs don’t. Kind of fun to climb but slippery when wet. Also the seed balls suck when they start breaking. Had to shut down the chipper many times to clean the radiator screen.
Fairly tough wood though. Nice for rigging.

You have to to watch rigging cause the bark is so smooth, and your flip line too (likely won't catch a fall on smaller wood). I haven't done a ton of them, but they seem to hinge fine, but i rarely get too crazy with stuff. Ideally don't chip it because the hairs on the leaves will destroy your sinuses.

Edit: if Rich says it doesn't hinge well, i would treat it accordingly. The handful of ones I've done i didn't notice, but i am very conservative usually...

Back