The Official Work Pictures Thread

I just got back to my Maine coast, and the invasive tree pests really overwhelmed me today.

We're losing hemlocks and oaks right now, and Beach, Chestnut and elm are already gone. Not that I'll see it, but I'm wondering what we'll be left with in another 100 years

On shooting a line in dead trees. Not just a climb line. I will often shoot a pull line up higher in case i hit a point i wont climb past and may need a little pull for the top to go the direction i may need. I can always abandon the idea. Pulling the line in up high can give you some feed back on the condition of the top as well.

Not sure if EAB is in Connecticut yet, but I remember hearing Beetle killed Ash loses strength really quickly

What I have seen is the roots go quick. Small ash under a foot after three years are unsafe to climb IMO. I have never had one fail in rigging but have cleaned up many that have failed on their own.

It's sad to see all the ash go away and now we are seeing a spike in mature oak populations dying off. Whites and reds.

Decent sized dead Grand fir. Maybe 34" dbh.100+'ish. Funky dog-leg up top on the new leader after an old breakout. Had to straddle it a minute, then a bit of limbing and pushing a top into the hole. I was warmed up from a big dead Doug-fir. Felt like I was moving slow. Faked out by shorter days. About 1:45 from starting at the bottom to flopping the spar.

IMG_20180926_174336087.jpg

Possibly, we were literally about getting in the truck, as in helmet off and packed. He's walking out of frame 10' to the truck.

We worked a full 10 hour day, though only half was laborious. He has kids. He manages it fine. He knows when it's time to take a break, eat something, drink up, quick check in, and when to bust ass.

Nice work Sean! All I have is this tiny job: More work on this walnut, got the tree brushed out and a good portion of a second one. HO cleanup so I leave the guy a few truck loads of brush at a time, not a rush job, a few minutes from my place. Trying not to over work the groundy. I have more video, but I have to get permission to post it, I'm testing a new chain. There is a second tree to come down, I lashed the two trees together, for rigging it, the second one has grown through a chainlink fence.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XrzTqaMVOl0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What I have seen is the roots go quick. Small ash under a foot after three years are unsafe to climb IMO. I have never had one fail in rigging but have cleaned up many that have failed on their own.
Not seeing that here in tornado alley. Ash seemed stressed here though generally due to summer drought conditions. Many are already losing their leaves (going brown on the edges and falling off). Some owners think they have ash borer, but the ash are budding out and look like they'll be fine next year. We did do a crispy 30' one today, not much density to the wood, but the tie in point was strong. I don't think we've broken a tie in point at all in the past couple of years, even rigging off the same leader.

Oh for sure. City has a 10 year plan to cut & replace most and treat a few worth saving in the parks & right of ways. We're seeing more & more decline & dying ashes and it is becoming a mainstay job. "Permanent Emerald Ash Borer Treatment Solutions."

We're losing hemlocks and oaks right now, and Beach, Chestnut and elm are already gone.

In central ME there are loads of oaks and beech and hemlock, I haven't noticed problems except maybe with hemlock.

It's sad to see all the ash go away and now we are seeing a spike in mature oak populations dying off. Whites and reds.

That's bad

Good pictures.

I have been away for a couple of weeks. Went to the Uk for the APF and to catch up with some me old friends. We had a blast. Plenty of big kit and machinery.

I flew back into Bergen on the west coast of Norway to help a friend out with a weeks work. Biggest job was a Mature Elm to dismantle. We used a knuckle boom Hiab / crane to assist us as the drop zone was pants. The weather was horrendous but we got it done. Mike had measured the tree before and said it was in the region of 120 a 130’. Either way it was slippery in the wind and rain. Got the crown stripped on the first day and then trunk wood the second.

Attachments

• IMG_8742.jpg
    IMG_8742.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8743.jpg
    IMG_8743.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8744.jpg
    IMG_8744.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8747.jpg
    IMG_8747.jpg