The Official Work Pictures Thread

Slow day. Admin work in the morning.
Started making a mess at 3, solo. Wanted to get some material on the ground for the guys to start with tomorrow morning, as I have late AM summer camp drop-off before going to the jobsite.

Was in the groove, worked 4.5 hours.

Project overall is to remove 1 small pine, 10 crispy dead to dying Doug fir, and an alder. Its and HOA greenbelt.

The triple-leader in the first picture is the challenge. All the love, long, heavy-ish branches are over the yard. Fence been built around it. The dead trunks are the ones most over the dropzone, the live one is over the neighbor's yard.

Speedline City tomorrow or the next day.
In typical employee fashion, my new employee needed the day off for parenting-plan court, and the car broke down out of town.

This view is from the top of a spar, of the triple-trunk biggest tree on the project.
IMG_20180821_183442658.jpg

The trunk with green fuzz was still alive. I stayed tied-in on it, when I swung over to the dead one on the right. Topped that crispy thing with a couple wedges and short-handled ax, maybe 40' top, watching the wobble for safety. Gentle climbing. NO rocking.
IMG_20180821_183450690.jpg

Hot here atm, flailing down some brambles to clear a winching area ready for tomorrow.

Attachments

• 5585EF1A-7BAC-44CA-B903-876944E6B79D.jpg
    5585EF1A-7BAC-44CA-B903-876944E6B79D.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 02ADD8EF-6A4D-4AB4-BB9F-1C4F6037EE33.jpg
    02ADD8EF-6A4D-4AB4-BB9F-1C4F6037EE33.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 33
Possum Picking

Can't believe he picked up that possum! People think they just play dead...not. I've had several get ornery with me...hissing, gnashing teeth. They are quite ferocious when they want to be.
It was the heat of the afternoon, possums are nocturnal, so they were completely befuddled with all the chainsaw noise and activity in their trees. Plus, that boy is from central Florida, grew up on a huge farm. He's no stranger to catching coons, possums, even water mocs! He said the mama possums carry the babies just like a cat, so you just grab them by the scruff of the neck (or by the tail, but then they can turn and bite you). He once caught a water moc and carried it into the house to show everyone (grab it just behind the head). He got in the house and a sheriff was there. "Boy, get that thing back outside!" Yessir!

Of course, to Fiona a "possum" is something completely different than an American Opossum (our only marsupial).
Trichosurus_vulpecula_brown_form.jpg

Squish, I'm the one behind the camera. Can't you see?

Sean, I really appreciate your job breakdowns and pics -- they are helpful in developing a critical thinking path -- the thinking man's approach to tree work. Insightful and appreciated, even if I don't generally have a specific job comment. (Letting your new employees get out their "flexing moment" on the stump was classic -- but they'll get over that.)
:)

I grabbed a water moccasin once just to show my boss it could be done, but I'll never do that again. That fella released a musk so powerful it took several hand washings to get it off of me!

We were ground cutting brush from a settling pond, they were everywhere... and aggressive! They'd actually pursue us - never seen snakes act like that in my life. I bet I killed at least a dozen that day.

I have not had one chase me but had an uncle have to fight off two that were under the fishing boat he uprighted (left upside down on the dam to keep rain out). He planned to go fishing...had to kill two mocassins first. They came at him and he killed them with a paddle. (it was my uncle Larry, a quite, tough WWII vet...gentle and easy going, a twinkling smile and very good with dynamite when he had to blow beaver dams...:D)

I did see one trying to attack a calf that was trapped in a creek once, at the 2-3 foot high bank. A friend and I were hunting with pellet guns...probably about 14 yrs old. We found the calf somehow entangled or something and could not free it. Then a snake swam at the calf repeatedly (maybe it was blocking the den???). We shot at the snake with pellet guns until it left. We left the calf and found the farmer/owner and told him about it. No idea what happened after that.

It held. Well it held for what it needed to. I took the picture from part of the deck we had to miss. Between me jimmy and I, we had a plan and also a bet on where the rope would snap. I won ( at the cow hitch). It was supposed to be a controlled crash but he got greedy and tried to let it rotate for ease of removing with the bobcat. He must lurk around the TH because when I said we should use the 3/4?, he said ?let?s try the 1/2? in the name of science!? I have this ropes replacement on the truck already. We were testing to failure
1A161A65-840D-484A-B1DE-81D6D7E07A40.jpg

Anyone have a link to Frans Volvo break testing video? I haven't seen that in ages... I have the CD.

Frans! Hook us up!

Back to the water moccasins...y'all do recall that putting a pistol round through the head of one that has dropped into the bottom of your johnboat is fraught with multiple ramifications, I hope?

An old story from the dark past of TreeHouse lore... :D. Not all that many members have been around long enough to know it, and that is maybe a good thing :lol:.

I actually save short stories like that to a folder just so I don't have to type it all out again.

Yep! That's it! Burnham was booted for scuttling his State vessel!

I remember it all now...
Ew4GxPg.gif

Back