The Official Work Pictures Thread

From where, and how much?

I need a new grinder engine.

Originally 20 hp, replaced with 25 hp. Don't know if I should try to go any higher, or not.

I worked a crane job today. Removing 2 poplars at the end of a garden. One firm quoted to rig them down over 5 days. Ross, (Kong Tree Care) looked over the fence and then chatted to the neighbours. Put a price in for a crane for the day. We parked a 45 ton crane in the culdesac and half closed the road with all the residents permissions. Both trees done by 3. A huge roll on roll off skip turned up and we craned all the timber. We left site at about 1630 ish with the boys left to do a 25 foot conny tomorrow and finished the tidy. 4 hours max. The customer couldn't believe it.

My mate climbed and I ran the grounded with the other 3 groundpies. It was a refreshing change just running the ground and acting as a banks man for the crane op.

Only made 2 picks myself. both with the 660 final cuts.

Attachments

• pop2.jpg
    pop2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 58
  • pop3.jpg
    pop3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 58
  • pop4.jpg
    pop4.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 60
  • pop1.jpg
    pop1.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 59
  • pop5.jpg
    pop5.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 58
  • pop6.jpg
    pop6.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 60
  • pop7.jpg
    pop7.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 57
  • pop8.jpg
    pop8.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 60
  • pop9.jpg
    pop9.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 57
Might have to go back to Europe for that.

Agreed, Stig... but I'm half-tempted to pull my head out of my own, just for the chance to work for Paul for a bit.

Sean: Thanks. Yeah... I may be headed that way. Funny... as I sit here and type this, they went from being jerks to being super cool to being sorta jerks again. Pretty weird outfit. The pay's been pretty stinkin good lately. Shan't complain again till I make a moove.

Reg: HA!! Ya caught me. Yeah, It's like Justin mentioned... or Burnham... we've got our funny, little, regional variations, even if everyone down here still does acknowledge that the Swanson is a barbarian (Canadian) invention. I think that the best butt-drop I've ever achieved was the Swanson as you've described it, but with the further contrivance of a 1.5" Dutchman intentionally sawn into the entirety of the cut.

Stephen: What the heck's Dave doin in KY???

Buddy: Really nice pics.

Rich: HA HA, HA!!! The crushed Box Elder Beetle smell! Who could mistake it!!?? Smells like pungent green apples er somthin.

UK Rich: Super nice pics.

Tommy B: Don't know ya from Adam, but you freakin ROCK, my man.

Sam: Yer a man. Pretty gutsy falls.

Here's an Oak We did, and the last two pics are from our 900 foot Maple that we got out late to, and hafta finish up tomorrow.

Attachments

• unnamed-1513.jpg
    unnamed-1513.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 57
  • unnamed-1512.jpg
    unnamed-1512.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 58
  • unnamed-1511.jpg
    unnamed-1511.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 57
  • unnamed-1510.jpg
    unnamed-1510.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 57
  • unnamed-1514.jpg
    unnamed-1514.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 58
  • unnamed-1515.jpg
    unnamed-1515.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 56
I'm sure this has been covered, but what's with the tongue and groove cut? Keeps the butt on the stump? Isn't that what a super open face does?

Curious why the dumpster was delivered by tractor?

Never fly over here

Not exactly sure Paul.

It is a pretty decent tractor. Not sure of the full specs but I think as long as you have air breaks on the trailer then the tractor can tow.

Scary thing is that young lads can jump in Ag Reg vehicles and tow huge grain trailers in country roads. When the reality is some of them shouldnt be in your granny's mini-metro.

Around these parts the reality is that any youths running ag equipment are usually ten times the driver and much more responsible than most older 'insured' drivers on the road.

Sorry, but I am quite certain I will never use that foolishness. Easier ways to accomplish those goals.
:)

No worries, B. Have you ever tried it? Its another tool in the tool box. Took me forever to cut them. At least a minute. Maybe 90 seconds, with a puny, but sharp saw. ;) Worth it for the efficiency of limbing and bucking, I'd say. it was also practice in non-critical situations.

The tongue and groove works with the strength of the tree.

Hypothetically, how would you hold up a 3' x 120' fir if there were to be something below the stump, like a shallow water line or deck?

How do you hold the trunk up off the ground to limb the tree?

And if you wanted the trunk to stay on the stump, cross-slope on a hill, so that you would form a barrier?

Dead trees don't hold to the stump very well. Some of these trees were just crusty and broke apart. Wedging some was just splitting them apart. I made sure to shave the bark at the hinge, so that I could see the wood. They weren't even splitting straight down the grain, but cracking out forward from wedging while slightly limb locked (small limbs, with a lot of leverage with the height.

All day, I used 3 tanks in my ms261, two wedges, an ax, a throwline, and a 10 years old piece of arbor-plex that is very down-graded. Nothing more. Aside from all the tiny dog-hair trees (1.5" x 25' types) stumping some old stumps to have better machine access, I cut about 15 trees. Chipped most of it, drank coffee, took a long lunch break, chipped most of it.

No heavy chains, binders, ropes, etc. I limbed things up off the ground, and had less shattering.

The basic 1/3 depth or so facecut, back-cut and wedges would have done mostly the same, just taken more work to clean up, and more likelihood (small, all the same) of accidentally 'dirting' the chain. I flew faster through limbing, with less bending because I could rest the saw on the trunk, and had lots more clearance from the ground than it it was laying flat on top of the ground, driving more limb spikes into the ground, which then would be more to pull out and/ or trip over.

https://www.facebook.com/rangloaxe/videos/1072644236180972/

As Mick said, a bit of a fad. Hype goes around the internet.

Also, once upon a time, collar cuts instead of flush cuts were a fad, not that this is the thing to do, except where its advantageous.

Last advantage I thought of, when you're in close quarters, and the tree is roped to the stump (which means an inevitable loss of height), it can still roll sideways, possibly damaging something. If the tongue holds in the groove, it can't rotate. My trees were pencils, so no worries, in this case. I was dropping them right about on top of the keeper ornamentals. A broad-leaf tree would likely grow long limbs toward the sun/ which was the dropzone in this situation. If you drop a maple onto a long, strong limb, it could easily roll off to the side.

I think that the biggest risk is when the tree lurches forward too much. A much lower loaded rope might be attached to the butt, and tied behind the stump, helping to hold it in place, like with the deck.

Mine were no-risk fells.

I'm curious because both keeping it on the stump and no rolling are very common problems here. Does it work on hardwoods as well? And much bigger trunks? Or is the open face safer? Ok on back leaners and side lean? How does one bore cut using this?

I first saw the cut years ago by an old guy hand cutting softwoods. It was used to fell the "bench tree" at 90deg to the direction of the rest of the trees first. The trees were then felled across it placing them at a nice comfortable height to work with.

I've never cut one, and never will.

I'll take your word for it that it's worthwhile to you, Sean. It wouldn't have ever been so to me in my work life in any situation that I can think of. But I was no residential arb, and the tree work I did around buildings and other infrastructure was not the bulk of my tasks.

As you say, no worries. Room for more than one approach here :).

Sean... What we gotta do is slam a 150' fir, tongue in groove, to save out a brand-new blacktop driveway.... that'll shut them crotchety old-timers up. You go first, OK?

Here's our rather pedestrian, if tall, backyard Maple. Loads of "Leave Trees," underneath. Sucked.

unnamed-1516.jpg unnamed-1517.jpg

I look at it as interesting, and a specialty cut.

Reg did that big fir sidehill, on a steep slope, secured with ropes. I could see it be nice to secure with ropes as back-up, and let the stump take a beating rather then expensive ropes, with the pull of a trigger and dinosaur power (mix-gas).

There is some dicey cut some Europeans (IIRC) did in avalache area that was big ripcut on the downhill side of the stump to form a tall wall (head-high, overhead),

then some sliding, sidehilling cut so the butt goes behind the 'wall' on the stump, and the top of the tree will be held by other stumps.

There is a video out there.

Jed...:).

Sean, that was another cut that fell into the "not something I'd ever choose" category.

Y'all should be proud of me...I didn't say "stupid".
:D

Sorry, Sean. You have been more than generous in allowing me my little objections.
:)

Gimmick cuts, all of them, are shaky ground to plow imo. Old school forever, I fear.

Back