The Official Work Pictures Thread

I was surprised it followed the notch. With the wired back and side lean combo. We were pulling into the ROW from a wheat field and could not get a good guy line set. I had to promise the inspector that it wouldn't leave the ROW or else I had to climb and strip it with a stream under it. I was a bit nervous actually

I've shat my pants on curvy crap pulling with just a maasdam. Always amazes me, leave a good even hinge and it folds like a door. It has to, or I'd be more ashamed to post pics.

I stopped and took a quick ride around the fields last night while my buddy was shelling corn. I ran down there this morning to get some straw and he told me they were out till almost midnight. He was heading out to work some ground and hopefully plant some wheat. Along with try to get some beans off today as well.

We are screwed out here. Rain and more rain. Have not harvested anything yet.

It has also frozen hard, 19 one morning. So the quality might be either poor or nonexistent.

More rain and snow tonight. They got two feet of snow to the south of me.

Willie, looks like grass seed and alfalfa from here now that I can see the pictures better.

Seeding for hay?

I was in Illinois last week and was surprised that about half the corn and beans had already been picked and they were working hard on what was left. Looks like they had a really good season there.

We are screwed out here. Rain and more rain. Have not harvested anything yet.

It has also frozen hard, 19 one morning. So the quality might be either poor or nonexistent.

More rain and snow tonight. They got two feet of snow to the south of me.

Willie, looks like grass seed and alfalfa from here now that I can see the pictures better.

Seeding for hay?
Jim, the old man was drilling cover crop, i know he had crimson clover and peas in there, maybe some oats. Not sure what else, didn't ask him. On my side I drilled in pasture. White clover, birdsfoot trefoil, perrenial ryegrass, orchard grass, tall fescue.
Willy... does that contraption harrow and seed at the same time? Am I seeing that right?
Yeah, neat device, it's a "no till seed drill". That's why i ran the ring roller on the tilled ground first to try packing it a bit, was afraid it might drill too deep. Then in the pasture i pulled my homemade drag, i think it has 6 pieces of steel drill rod. That worked a treat to level it out.

We were on the outer range of a typhoon passing through one night last week, it might have whipped up a localized twister. Really blew in the middle of the night. This inn seemed to be hit the hardest, trees were down elsewhere but not like this place. Recent heavy rains didn't help, some trees tipped at their roots. Nice lady there who had recently lost her husband. much felt sorry for her and really tried to help her out. Her insurance wouldn't cover the tree damage. The tree seemed to have knocked part of the house out of square, had to rearrange some inner doors to get them to open. Overnight guests were showing up when we were wrecking overhead, kind of crazy. She should have cancelled the people, but it being a three day weekend was a chance for her to make some money she'll be needing to repair damage.

Parts of trees down or bad leaning on both sides of the house and in back. No crane reach to the back, called for some heavy pulling to get a clear enough lay. Some guy wanted seven grand to put in a route for his crane to get in and cut, my buddy and I went back today and flopped the bad leaner for two hundred bucks. The others can wait for more reasoning power and some budget. Had three pullers on it at one point. Dicey but it worked out good. A full day to get the roof cleared and take out the Pines as well. An appreciative customer. A lesson for her in not neglecting her trees as well.

Attachments

• DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    547.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0066.JPG
    DSC_0066.JPG
    611.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0073.JPG
    DSC_0073.JPG
    506.8 KB · Views: 51
It seems like the "Wow, Jay!" reaction will be an almost universal response to this story. Grendel beat me to it.

Jay, you are a freakin' hero! Good on ya, bro! Nice work! Amazing to me that you were able to pull that off of the roof. Did you have to attach your pullers to other trees nearby? And what type of pullers were these that were being used? This would seem like a perfect scenario for a GRCS, but I'm betting that you probably did not have anything nearly that fancy to accomplish this task.

Thanks in advance for any answers you choose to give.

Tim

Yeahhh....good stuff. That is a lot of tree...lots of brush weight it seems. Do I see a broken spar in the last picture?

Is that last picture a dead, de-barked pine/conifer?

Sounds like some detailed serious rigging you did...good stuff, Jay.

Back