The Official Work Pictures Thread

Ok my good sir, very quickly I would say A) Being capable with the saw in all positions is a good thing. B) Ya know the 'cutting thru dirt/mud' trick to keep saw sharp? Frequently ime, backchaining is a good way to make or finish that cut. C) Finishing a bucking cut after a log has been rolled over to access the remaining wood to be cut, is far easier, faster, and more accurate by back chaining. I posted a thread on that awhile back, no one could figure out why that is but most agreed it was true. D) Frequently it is key to direct saw chips away from you by backchaining. E) Must be many more reasons for it that I am not thinking of right now.

:thumbup:

I was hired to remove one Cottonwood for a trailer park, about 36-38DBH" around 100' tall. Crack at the base for several years. Originally scheduled a 50t crane to knock out the tree, Then the plan was to take the crane to another jobsite and knock out a few more trees.

Tree 1
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0089.jpg

A few days before work began, they wanted 2 more of them taken out (co-dom), same dimensions. We are pretty busy, and I wanted it done in a day, so we brought in the 90t. No cleanup, although they wanted us to clear debris from the road. Each tree weighed in around 30,000lbs

Trees 2&3
IMG_0087.jpg

Set Up
IMG_0093.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg

Tree 1
IMG_0107.jpg
IMG_0110.jpg

Tree 2&3

IMG_0130.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg

After seeing the mountain of trees, they hired us for a few more hours to move them to their back lot.

IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0141.jpg

Thanks guys. Have fun with the critters, Stephan!

Most of the picks were in the 10k-15k range and well communicated with CO. Sena's help a lot.

We had around 20k+ of chart the entire time, maybe down to 18k and change on tree #3.

Just 2 of us here, Rich. We could use another guy though!

You guys are pretty removal heavy, seems like you guys could just crush work with a boom truck/ big KB and a grapple truck!

Up there in Marin county, there are like 10 little municipal hamlets.... A contractor needs to have a business license in every one of them, legally. Ha, but what's that? :)

Killing dead trees all day, this is some of them. Another truck down today too, glad the f150 was up to the task of 4 guys, 7k pound chipper and gobs of gear headed up into the mountains.
d5b56508df8ec5ae908253b53ac1bf59.jpg
6a2b56fe6c85b23a041b02abc8d8bbd4.jpg
c02ab199c28dbcd7f95b3413bfb9da23.jpg
62cb2575235e2f4d20d9e2580e708c30.jpg
66a3853571a022b26fca6d3e7e114e22.jpg
70382f9811232a80ca707b0d339d51cc.jpg
f8493902b7f8abcae969b414d7d51f09.jpg
51d1b3e0b85866df3eecb58d24ac01b8.jpg
81b649311c819dd0f1a1be2672949cc8.jpg
267b857e0f887ea6fceb64452abd82e3.jpg

Yes, yes but you don't explain WHY, my dear sir. It is "key," you say: well then, my good man; key to what, might I ask? I always figured that it was for chaps who couldn't sharpen that well. Why not turn one's nose up when one can not envisage a conceivable reason why one would ever deign to back-chain when one has far better methods for progressing through the tree using conventional methods? I ASK you!

Stig: Oh, so you caught him then, did you, you facetious rascal you. Cum'on man... everyone misses now and then, and you know it. Don't mess with my new boyfriend! :X

Rajan: No. That's the weirdest thing. Bone stock, that pig. I couldn't even believe that it could cut so well. I kept asking him all kinds of nerdy questions like, "is that .63 gauge?" Turns out it was just full-skip, factory square-grind .050, which he nearly wasted one of my brand new Pferd 7/32 round files on by converting it into round-grind. :dead:
Crazy!

I want a crane!! One would come in real handy for todays two ashes (90'ers) up tight to a house big burning bushes underneath minimal clearance for a speed line. Fun Fun

Better you than me, flushcut.

Tom: HUGE picks! Super good pics too... thanks.

Willie: Some beautiful shots. Man I love that one with the dirt pouring off of it, but can't even really figure out what's going on.

Cory: Oh, no I wasn't excluding backchaining altogether. Certainly has it's place as with all the situations you just mentioned. I just find it's use at the stump (falling, not flush cutting) a bit weird. Ohhh... and the reason that back-chaining is more accurate than pull-chain when severing the final bucking wood on a log is because of the insertion of a greater portion of the guide bar, itself being guided by the pre-sawn bucking kerf. (Impossible or impractical to do with a pull-chain cut.)

Back chaining is the most efficient way to shower your co-workers with sawdust. An integral part of making the day more enjoyable so supersedes any and all safety concerns. When an opportunity to douse a co-worker in sawdust confetti arises it must be taken.

I agree Jed it's bad form at the stump, with a wrap handle there's really no need for it.

Willie: Some beautiful shots. Man I love that one with the dirt pouring off of it, but can't even really figure out what's going on.
.)
It's a tree that failed across the driveway and a cabin. kinda walking it down. There's a video on instagram if anyone cares to see it.

Just can't run a community and have it unregulated allowing anyone to setup shop and then be gone the next day.

We have plenty of that here. A little thing called bankruptcy allows people to walk away from their disaster, then start up a new business with a new name down the street. Some are so brash, knowing the loser still has to pay for court and lawyers, they will say "go ahead and sue me," knowing you won't or can't. Then they are gone and you have a big mess on your property.

Back