The Official Work Pictures Thread

You all might remember the palm pruning pics from Mexico I posted in the past.
Well here's a pic I took this morning on how they do it in Florida.
I took my family for a trip to Disney World and we're having a great time here. Last time I was here was 36 years ago and boy have things changed since the introduction of the smorgasbord or buffet as they call it in Disney.
Epidemic of disabled obese folks riding around the park on scooters.....scooters everywhere.
20151202_080852.jpg 20151202_130436-1.jpg

Pruned a bit too high leaving too few fronds to generate proper trunk diameter for that species, Cocos plumosa, or queen Palm.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep443

Same pruning mistake causes the same thing on wash fans too. Trunk diameters jumping from skinny to fat during those years of malpruning for views, economy and other lame excuses.

Anything over horizontal's too much being the gold standard to achieve a uniform and sturdy trunk diameter in the care and maintenance of palm trees, IME.

This pic shows over pruned queens, or storm pruned queens after a hurricane. I guess having a full head of fronds allows each tree to be bent over passively enough to bend without breaking, even if it means laying over horizontally for a while?

Jomo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 57
You all might remember the palm pruning pics from Mexico I posted in the past.
Well here's a pic I took this morning on how they do it in Florida.
I took my family for a trip to Disney World and we're having a great time here. Last time I was here was 36 years ago and boy have things changed since the introduction of the smorgasbord or buffet as they call it in Disney.
Epidemic of disabled obese folks riding around the park on scooters.....scooters everywhere.

I was working there (in Lake Buena Vista) when you were there in 1979. Last visit for me in 2004; lots of obese folks then, too. Also, loud blaring music everywhere. Restrooms, parking lots. . . you couldn't get away from it. Considerable difference from when I worked there in the 70's. Word was, even back in the 70's, was that it had changed to an impersonal corporate company, compared to when Walt himself walked the grounds. "Grounds," of course, meaning Disneyland, since he never actually saw Disney World.

I agree, the palms are overpruned. The two on the right look about perfect, before they start cutting fronds off.
Great picture though, imagine having to work up in a tree with a lifejacket! That is what I'm seeing right?

I agree, the palms are overpruned. The two on the right look about perfect, before they start cutting fronds off.
Great picture though, imagine having to work up in a tree with a lifejacket! That is what I'm seeing right?
You're correct Fiona those are life jackets their wearing as they're working off a pontoon boat. I was a fair distance away when I took that pic so detail was lacking, but you're right it was a great shot of those guys working.
These trees are a quarter the height of the tall ones worked in Mexico.

Ya'll just jealous, cause we so good at makin' that food, yo.

Williard: Very, very good to see you, sir.
Good to see you again too Jed!
I agree no one makes better food then what's found right here in the U.S.A.
Most of these scooter pilots are older people with the weight problem and Disney being the best oiled machine in the world that they are, makes the whole park very user friendly for them........maybe a little too easy as it's not helping them burn those excess calories.

Last weekend here being Thanksgiving brought many of the local Florida residents to the park, and I've never seen so many tall muscular dudes (women too). Made me feel small, so what I'm seeing is they're feeding their kids right from birth.:D

Good to see you, Willard.

Got 5 hours on prep, clearing some understory stuff, and some ivy, finding a 3/4 " cable girdling it, and more cavities than I could see before. Got some of the easy climbing, free-dropping, and rigging done. Tree is lighter, every cut. Trying out the new Rig and Ring. I'm Sold.

There are more cavities on the other side. The cavity over the shed is probably almost half circumference. Wood is solid where exposed, reasonably. Decay shown at trunk cuts.

Thankfully, my 1" hand-me-down porty rope, which has been too large all these years, had a couple feet to spare, as a running bowline.

Attachments

• IMG_20151202_141439021_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20151202_141439021_HDR[1].jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20151114_135843732_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20151114_135843732_HDR[1].jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20151114_135854533[1].jpg
    IMG_20151114_135854533[1].jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20151202_141446872[1].jpg
    IMG_20151202_141446872[1].jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 55
PS. Thank you Paul Cox for the Wraptor and Senas, and Nick Bonner for the APTA. Climbing that thing is too much work for me. Gray hair is creeping in more.

Replaced the broken mount/ speakers on one helmet with $50 Treestuff RopeTek Sena Replacement kit, and then used the microphone on another helmet. http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=14826

14826.jpg

been getting some cold weather so far here in norcal so I thought Id get out my old Koflach mountaineering boots, never really worn them, 35 years old and warm as could be, nice stiff sole, but......the plastic....well lets have the pics tell the story..lol

getting ready for ponderosa removal....

2K1FGSC.jpg

zQpanNw.jpg

unac4nG.jpg

I walked over to see how Bixler was doing in his Pondo and......left boot just fell off lol

right boot coming apart as well

DO7YRch.jpg

a few pics of the climb, nothing big

OM6MrRil.jpg

VSPyDo0l.jpg

AUZtuIkl.jpg

Bixler taking the pics of me from his removal

hunjs4sl.jpg

Jim, left one started to split at the top....I think the straps were holding em together, barley lol

Back