The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

I took tae kwon do a few years back with my daughter. At the time I could easily beat anyone under 10. Tough as tonka I was.

Jk'ing. I took the adult classes. The high kicking agravated my back though.

I've always been naturally a submission fighter. My natural instinct is to choke people out. In highschool and for about the first ten years afterwards I fought a fair bit. Usually ended in submission or unconsciousness, by the other person not me. Atleast three times spring to mind where I KO'd people. The most memorable being this big dude at a house party who picked me up in a weird bear hug, well I got my arms around his bean/neck and by the time we hit the floor he was out and fell right out of one of his shoes. Super scary, I thought I'd killed him.

Now I'm old and decrepit but I bet I could still take anyone here, Butch or Willard for certain. :D

I used to train Shotokan karate when I was younger and boxed a bit but stopped that when I was about 10.

Been training Muay Thai since 1995. Pretty regularly apart from breaks when I have been out of the country. Trained in North East Thailand for 3 month in 2002.

Had a few fights in the ring in the early days. Not so much now though as injury would be too costly in regard to mortgage and family life.

I still train and spar when I can. Haakon, my eldest is 8. He has his first interclub fight this Saturday coming. Looking forward to it as is he. I hope I don't get all over excited and stuff.

I love the BJJ aspect of MMA but although I have rolled a bit, I have had shoulder problems over the years so that has stopped me taking it seriously.

I started MMA training 6 yeas ago....figured it was prudent considering my smart mouth and shitty attitude. Was awarded my blue belt in BJJ last year and I just keep on keepin on with the Muay Thai training. I try and get to the dojo 3 times a week, works for me.

I can still run pretty fast.

That the first thing I was taught. Not fighting always trumps over fighting. There's a cool move where you grab your opponent, spin them around and kick/push them in one direction while you flee in the opposite. I used that a lot when I was working doors and someone tried to push their way through. No running away there - it wasn't necessary. Just get them out the door!

First rule of working the door. Get them outside, then shut the doors behind them.

I have trained with a number of doormen who thought they were hard bastards. Yes they are big and strong but lifting weights doesn't mean you can fight. One thing I have learned over the years... The door staff maybe 5 or 6 bruisers and occasionally a smaller guy. The 5 or 6 are there to look like they mean business. The little bloke is there because he knows the business and he's the one to be avoided.

Saying that though, I try to avoid all steroid using coke heads. A lot of them I have encountered have those two things as their main hobbies.

I thought Canadians were supposed to be friendly.

What? Do you apologize and say sorry when yer chokeing someone out Justin?

I haven't fought in quite a few years now, close to ten. So maybe Canadians get friendlier with age?

And no Jim, I never apologize if it's a fight. To go to blows you have to be getting pretty offside, with me or others around me. I don't abide any violence towards women, even threats. And general assholery is barely tolerated either.

I had hoped my daughter would continue with a martial arts but she moved into dance and has no interest in 'fighting'. She'll be looking more to be protected I guess.

In the vid I posted, unless the translation wasn't complete, i don't think the word "fighting" was much used, more something akin to "self preservation". There was the statement by the last man steeped in the feeding style of White Crane, saying that in an encounter he saw his dinner. I guess that could be interpreted in different ways. I don't think the old style guys were into competitions either, some mention of that. Learning and refinement via respect for the traditions seems the priority.

I am amazed that any Canadian would be rude enough to start anything with you Justin.

I remember watching that factual documentary, "Canadian Bacon", gee everyone seemed so nice up north.

Of course I am giving you shit. Wanna throw down?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dig that stuff that Gary does. Mind and body stuff. Seems kinda spiritual. Must be a spiritual aspect to most of the Martial arts. Maybe thats why they call it an art?

I also have a black out rage problem, thankfully only with cattle so far.

Do you practice a Martial Art Cory?
+1 on the Gary and art aspects.

There are some stories there re cattle rage, you should tell em.

No I don't do a martial art but want to try bjj.

The toughest guys I ever met you'd never know it.

MB, give some color on that why don't you.

I've always been naturally a submission fighter. My natural instinct is to choke people out.

Ha, same here, Squish. Bjj would be a good match for your innate talent. Good fight story you put in there.

Haakon, my eldest is 8. He has his first interclub fight this Saturday coming. Looking forward to it as is he.

That sounds like fun, keep us posted, will ya?

First rule of working the door. Get them outside, then shut the doors behind them.

I have trained with a number of doormen who thought they were hard bastards. Yes they are big and strong but lifting weights doesn't mean you can fight. One thing I have learned over the years... The door staff maybe 5 or 6 bruisers and occasionally a smaller guy. The 5 or 6 are there to look like they mean business. The little bloke is there because he knows the business and he's the one to be avoided.

Good anecdote.

Rob, 3x's/week training, you are committed. Do you still train bjj too?

None of them will try ole Wade though. He is a different kind of tough. He got a rough cut 2x6 broke over his head, never threw a punch and still won the fight.

Btw Jim, you gotta tell more about this.

Ole Wade is not a large man, and years of diabetes has taken its toll. He is probably 6 foot and 180 or so. He is just one of those guys that you would have to shoot to win.

He was drinking in a little bar in the town to the west, little bar not much room. Some cowboy did not like the look of him, and tried to pick a fight. Normally when Wade gets on the drink, he loves to fight, just not tonight. So the cowboy went out side and waited until Wade was leaving. He had an honest to god 2x6 and broke it over Wade's head when he walked out. Hit him so hard that it knocked out one of his teeth. He did not hit him in the mouth, top of the head, still knocked out a tooth. Wade just looked over and asked him why he did that. The cowboy left a trail of piss as he ran away. His pickup was still in the parking lot the next day.

As far as the cattle rage goes, I dont know. Some of the things I have done I am not real proud of.

One was a fight with a bull in a pond. A couple of buddies and I were trailing my cows one day. Normally we just ride behind them and bullshit. Sometimes a bull gets his feelings hurt and acts like a little kid. They will brush up or go sit in a pond until they feel better.

Well, he decided to go for a swim, just to screw up the day. A couple of miles later I looked over and my two buddies were staring at me in disbelief. I asked what the hell was wrong and they told me a real whopper.

I guess I had ridden my horse into the pond after that bull. I started whipping him with my reins and when that did not work I jumped off my horse onto the bull and started kicking him in the head. The bull ran off and joined the herd. I had totally blacked out and did not know what had happened until they told me a couple miles later.

@MB- Color means flesh it out with some details.

Wow Jim, that is a blackout.

Willard, violence.

A local tree dude in my area knocked out a customer that refused to pay then took the money from his wallet, or so I heard. This thread appears to be unraveling into a violence appreciation forum. :lol:

This thread appears to be unraveling into a violence appreciation forum. :lol:

Not what I had in mind at all. When I think martial arts, I think Art, Sport, and self defense.

I hear ya, MB

Well Haakons interclub went well. He was up against a tough kid who had had 1 fight and was about 3 kg heavier.

He did really well, had a bit of a panic in the corner after r2 as he had started to hyperventilate. The trainers got him to calm down and get breathing again then he went out for the third round and bossed it.

Well proud.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 55
The third round, after the wobbles and tears.

No head contact at that age and body shield is optional.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9-8RhpADSik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back