The Official Random Video Thread!

I should have been a Pilot.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/h6yG-HO-8hQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pilots have fun. The book on the great WW2 battle of Midway island, describes a Jap pilot in a zero that after dropping his bombs, turned around and came back and buzzed the US navy's runway upside down. It was his last gallant maneuver.

So friggin awesome. We are just a speck...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_ssqcwTt4uY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's the same vid I posted couple days ago. I was left with the same feeling, although calling us a speck is being charitable. We are so small and so utterly alone, it boggles the mind. And the wonder that fosters can indeed displace worry, I think. It gives perspective to see how ridiculously small and unique we are.

Badass mofo! :drink:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1TPn1-SJqVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A dose of strange and lots of the F word.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/htYg5jYXqZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gawd, I love this shit. I wore a brown jersey - 18 years old! :drink:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nGuJfBt135c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A mere four decades ago...

MB, when I'm dealing with highly incapable young groundies, I try to remember guys like the brown jerseys, young people doing serious jobs, figuring if there are 18yo brown jerseys on flight decks, well maybe they can figure this chit out too...

Yup.

And btw, your nuke buddy, he stays in for 20 years, which goes by in more or less a blink, gets out while he is still totally young (40ish), has smoking benees and pension, proceeds to live the rest of his life doing other cool chit. What's hard about that?

Yeah, he is the smartest dude I know. He has been lectured at length of the benefits. Was aware of the tight job market in civilian life.

Something happens to military guys. The idea of taking one more order from some asshole that couldn't be trusted to swab the head gets to them. Like I said, I have no military experience, but from what I gather the BS gets to be too much.

Yeah I can appreciate that.

On a mildly related note, I was chatting awhile back with a very bright Princeton guy who is now in the financial industry, he was in the Army for a stretch, said he liked it a lot. I asked him, not in so many words, "don't you work with a lot of complete dummies in the military?" He responded, "not if you are a leader.'' Cool answer, I get it.

16 years in a military uniform, and no regrets about deciding to part company with it. The wasted money and materials was far more than my stomach could handle. I was furious with the system that requires that we spend 10 times more money than we ever needed, simply because if we didn't spend it our budget would be reduced the following year.

When you hear about spending cuts in the military, let me assure you that the military could get by just fine with half of what it gets........and I ain't kidding.

Joel

MB, I take it the jet pilots rev their engines before take off, and is the catapult operator in visual contact to get the ok for the release, or is it by radio communications out of visual contact? I assume that the pilot has to be totally ready for the catapult launch, no surprises.

Back