The Logging Thread

Nice brian. Tree laid to the left? two hinges and pulled it with hold wood to the right to bring it into the lay. 518 Cat cable, tough machines. Thanks for posting.

Cheers fellas.

That was Eric falling trees, he's the most skilled timber faller I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

The tree was about 140 ft with a hard lean it's whole life. I set a quick line with the APTA @ 110ft, single roped up to knock a 30 ft top out in order to miss the power wires at the street. Eric wanted the limbs left on the tree to help keep the log from breaking, so SRT was the way to go.

6 trees added up to around 8,000 board feet. I love logging.

Some trades though they can be almost fully mechanized, still can't be done as well as when a large amount of hand work is included. "Done as well" can be a debatable point, but grinding lenses and woodwork are two that come to mind. If the public isn't sensitive to the differences, you get highly successful outfits like IKEA.

When I was started making teeth five axis milling machines were just introduced and everybody ignored them. Then the gold market spiked and dentists saw that they could make a crown in less than an hour, in house, instead of eight hours, not pay lab fee, and have to watch the gold exchange every day to set their pricing. More and more of our accounts jumped ship and I became a tree guy full time.

If you cut to the chase nearly anything possible which can be mechanized,robotized or automated in some form will be given enough time .

Some recent mechanized logging...

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zOLKyaYG2P8?list=UUxJ7nKZKesLKLcTKjK8A8Jg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's how to embed videos;

1) Do NOT copy/paste the page url.
2) Click the "share" button - a embed button will appear underneath/to the left.
3) Scroll down and click the "embed" button - a blue highlighted address will appear.
4) Copy/paste THAT address in your post.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zOLKyaYG2P8?list=UUxJ7nKZKesLKLcTKjK8A8Jg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's what I did butch...

Nice vid! Way to make most of those tops land flat. Whose mini ex with the grapple? Does that mean there is essentially no hand feeding of brush?

Dang, Bix...some seriously good treework with some seriously big trees!

Good stuff...tell me how you got those big tops to lay flat and not spike and bounce around...someone pulling the top with a rope hard at just the right moment?

See if this embed works:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zOLKyaYG2P8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It did not embed for me either....

A different code:

<object width="1280" height="720"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/zOLKyaYG2P8?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/zOLKyaYG2P8?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1280" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

That's not working either...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zOLKyaYG2P8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks Cory, that's Eric's mini ex. It was a huge time and labor-saver on that job. The grapple is key. Not much hand feeding going on as we didn't have to worry about the little shit on this particular job, just chip the big stuff and move on.

Thanks Gary, I used a shallow Humboldt face-cut, once the top is committed I continue to cut the hinge wood out. Seems to be a quick and clean separation and by the time it lands on the ground it's nearly flat. So many factors that seem to also come into play.... height your cutting at, how tall the tree is, pull rope and where you put it (if your using one), and the amount of limbs on the top and location of the limbs as well.

Maybe the vid is un-embeddable MB?

More mini logging.. Several trips and 16 beetle trees... :lol: I think we have almost the same still to do on this one. Three will be over 125 feet. We are really going to need a trailer like Brendons if this keeps up. I am betting a few years of this yet.

Attachments

• DSCF0049.jpg
    DSCF0049.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0053.jpg
    DSCF0053.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 46
Fire wood Stephen, or is there some salvage value to them? We are becoming the land of the red forest here in Montana.

You know,..........I have a 93 F-250 with a 460 and 54,000 miles on it with the automatic,................oh, never mind.:)

You sure have a nice fleet of Fords,......says a chevy guy!

Back