The Logging Thread

...customer gets scale for top grade sawlog...we found out much later that even though Veneer gade is not on their mill tick at all, for their best (big) customers they make a small kickback...still not a square deal

...sell to the big mill get screwed on Veneer but they have a huge chipper and will take low grade logs plus any load can be mixed hard and soft...the smaller mill gives you a better deal on high grade but will never take softwood. Both mills prefer loyalty...dirty biz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been back in the woods this week. First tree was a flopper, the second needed some rigging, third needed a lot of rigging, like more than I had. That one ended up going in the lay, just not the one I was gunning for.:lol: I had to use a redirect off the Farmi, and a 2:1 to get enough oomph to pull this one. That was as high up as I could get the choker from the ground. This tree had heart rot, but I'll still get some timbers from the uppers and take some nice clear boards off of an 8' butt log.

View attachment 54848

Ha, no need to get all crazy, it went in a lay. Lol!

Moved to a little pine lot on the other side of town this week. I cut all the pine that was worth cutting, save three bigguns, I'll save them for another day. I cut about 8,000 feet and got quite a few really nice timber quality logs. A good portion of heart rot on this job, too. Not so good, but I'll saw a few clear boards off the outside anyway.

Uppers on the left, culls on the right, and 18' to 30' timber logs by the road.

20140509_180402.jpg

Dave. Im ready to collect some pine logs from last year when the new loader shows up. What would you use uppers for? Siding? Dimensional lumber?

Siding is a good use. I make a lot of dunnage from the uppers, because I don't care how nice it is. And it's surprising how much dunnage goes away every time you load some lumber or timbers for someone. You can make dimensional out of the uppers, but you'll probably have a bunch of them with big knots in them, and they will just break in half. No big deal, just toss them, or use the pieces to sticker timbers.

I was given a fallen cherry log on the last pine job. I went after it this afternoon, and it turned out to be pretty huge for a cherry, 48". I've never seen one around anywhere near that big. I decided to wait on it, as I don't have room on the next truckload for all of it, and I'm coming back in a while anyway for three more monster pine trees. I will take all of the straight logs, as well as a bunch of crooked stuff that I will use for timber framing. The butt is split in half, but still has a ton of good wood in it.

cherrylog.jpg

That looks like a fairly recent split, from when the tree fell over on one leader.
I'm sure there are lots of good sound wood inside, even if it has some center rot, like all big cherries seem to have.
Nice find, dave.

What happened to the:" Skid them out full length and buck them at the landing" plan?

We took the decision to extract at a slow and steady pace rather than put the job off. It's going surprisingly well to be honest, and once the crop is cut, I can get the trucks right down to where the timber is stacked.

Back