The Joke/Funny Pic/Video Thread

But they're comparing the English translation of Japanese for each name of the month with the Latin translation of English for each name of the month. That doesn't correlate well.

If you actually compared the two, with English representing English in both cases, it would be January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December.

How is that any worse than the Japanese in English, whch is....ichigatsu, nigatsu, sangatsu, shigatsu, gogatsu, rokugatsu, shichigatsu, hachigatsu, kugatsu, jūgatsu, jūichigatsu, jūnigatsu.

I personally find the latter to be much more confusing since it was never taught to me, whereas the former is instantly recognizable and nothing about it and the system it is a part of is confusing to me. I'm just playing the devil's advocate here. Not being Buzz Killington.

In order to make this comparison work, you would need to have the Japanese words compared to Latin words (which is impossible) against English words compared to Latin words. I know you all think I'm being a buzz kill, but I know what I'm talking about in this regard. While the comparison is loose enough to make sense for some of you (for reasons I don't understand), literally, it makes no sense. Just saying. I wouldn't do this unless I thought it mattered. The comparison is UNFAIR. It would be like comparing a chicken to an Egg and a Rooster to a scrambled egg and claiming there's a correlation between them..

Last edited:
But they were comparing Japanese translation to English text...so it makes common sense that they would then compare English translation of Latin text to English words. I know I'm not crazy...well, I'm not THAT crazy...

In order to make this comparison work, you would need to have the Japanese words compared to Latin words (which is impossible) against English words compared to Latin words. I know you all think I'm being a buzz kill, but I know what I'm talking about in this regard. While the comparison is loose enough to make sense for some of you (for reasons I don't understand), literally, it makes no sense. Just saying. I wouldn't do this unless I thought it mattered. The comparison is UNFAIR. It would be like comparing a chicken to an Egg and a Rooster to a scrambled egg and claiming there's a correlation between them..
I answered your original question more or less.... 3oonb-1.jpg

@CurSedVoyce The only questions I asked were...

"Also, why the gap in the Japanese names?"

"Can someone explain this to me?"

Which did you answer "more or less" (I would argue less)?

All you did was validate my claim by showing that the comparison was between "English month names" and Latin and that the Japanese names were compared against its English variant. That's like if you wanted to make two SIMILAR metal alloys with two different base metals (two comparisons) with gold (Japanese) and silver (English) and you mixed the gold with aluminum (English) and the silver with copper (Latin). This would produce silver-aluminum and gold-copper. If they had just mixed both with either JUST copper or aluminum (either Latin, which is impossible linguistically, or English, so aluminum) then they would be arguably much more similar alloys as they would represent gold-aluminum and silver-aluminum.

This isn't rocket science. I don't know why you're being dismissive instead just proposing an argument. Honestly. I can't make myself more clear and I don't know why you seem so offended as to issue me such a rude meme. I was trying to have a discussion, but when someone tragically assassinates the discussion by way of a pointless, moody JPEG, then I get the signal that some of you do not want to have civil discourse.

I'll seriously leave it at that. Put that in your palm and LICK IT. Contesters of years past who have issued me their palms say that my utterances elicit hallucinogenic responses. You're welcome for the free intellectual high. =-D

Last edited:
Snickers! Do they still make those things?

Nickel candy when I was a youngster.
Yes, they do. For $1.32, a single bar can be procured from a retailer like Walmart. However, you can purchase them wholesale (24 or 48 pack) for a modest discount per bar.

If you prefer a more seasoned and inspired treat, I much prefer my "Utterances," which are free to obtain straight from the source per request by all of you on any business day between the hours of 9am and 6pm GMT. My "Utterances" regularly impress gustatory aficionados with their full bodied flavor, their fruity overtones with a delightful oaky finish. They also boast a nougat-like texture that smells and tastes of delicious and authentic German marzipan. There's no better way to cleanse the palette, I assure you. *laughs like an arrogant rich person*

Sorry, it was too easy. I'll stop. I promise.

Last edited:
Back