The Chipper Winch - Multitool

Good stuff, Nick.

Your coworkers aren't into forums, I'm surprised you haven't converted them??

Nice work Nick, those winches save alot of time and labor. Doing driftline work like that makes a winch even more versitile than just pulling brush piles up to the chipper. If you really want to get fancy try attaching a tag or buttline to some of those pieces to control the swing and cut down on some of the shock load. Doesn't have to be fancy either just short rope or a long choker rope will do with a half hitch. You can literally suspend a piece in mid air then let it run out. It takes a little more time to rig but adds a little more control to the piece being cut.

That's cool Nick.

WAY too efficient for a gov't worker to use.

Just kidding, sorta. Rarely do we ever clean as we go. Rarely do we even clean. Just on to the next dead and/ or rotten dream tree.

Our winch on our Bandit 250 (or should I say the taxpayers of WA's Bandit) gets a good work out, but only on stuff coming in from the ground.

I have a 1590xp w winch.. 2007.. infeed is only 17"x21"... It s been a great chipper.. When I first got it I was amazed by the versatility of the winch, and swore never to own another chipper w/o one.. UNTIL I got the skid loader two years later... Since then the winch gets used only a few times a year.. Actually the cable broke about a year ago and I haven't bothered to replace it.. We do the same thing with the loader, porty and redirect.. up or down at will... NICE! Next chipper will have the grapple!!!

This isn't the best example, but these pieces were lifed and lowered with the SS.. much faster and easier than he GRCS..

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h7vOcKjz0sU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vTkw1fsa-pM?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vTkw1fsa-pM?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

no cable on the winch... don't need one...

Or the lawn is wet. Or its a manicured lawn. Or people don't like turf damage. Or you don't feel like dragging an additional 10,000 pounds everywhere you go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the feedback Daniel, I am glad your setup works well for you. You are absolutely right about how flopping a tree and driving a skid steer onto a lawn to grab the the tree with a grapple bucket and feed it into a chipper is faster and more efficient than what I posted.

Taking a tree in large pieces and moving it 30'+ through the air into the chipper without leaving so much as footprints in the grass obviously takes more time. There is no disagreement whatsoever from me.

Good luck this summer, may the profits be high and the problems few for you!

Nick,
You can also use the SS to float those pieces out to the road, with redirect if needed.. its much faster and easier than the winch.. we welded a D ring to the SS grapple bucket to shackle a porty on... the ease and versatility of that kind of pulling power makes a huge difference in rigging and falling options..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dan, You are 100% right my man, that SS looks like a gem. Since we dont trailer an extra piece of equipment around, nor run anything with tracks on a lawn without plywood, we will stick to do doing the way we have been. But, if we ever start charging drastically less per man hour and need to get the job done fast it will advantageous for me knowing what I know since you told me. Thanks!

Back