The Anti/I don't get Hunting Thread

Cory I have heard some of those east coast coyotes are as big as a medium sized wolf. I heard about a lady hiker been attacked by what they called hy bred coyote in New Brunswick.

I just read this thread from the begining... saw the cougar thing coming a mile away, ya dirtbags. :)

I agree with Butch about the mammals thing. I enjoy having the deer stop by the backyard every few weeks. I couldn't imagine putting a bullet in one of them unless I had no other means of getting meat.

Birds on the other hand.. I could shoot grackles with the pellet gun all day. Bastards come in droves and clean out my feeders in an hour or so. They usually take a break for a half hour after you pop one then come back. Turkeys I could do no problem too. When I first moved into my house I was amazed to see wild turkeys. First it was just a few, now years later about a dozen at a time show up on my back porch eating seed and crapping everywhere. Might be time to buy a bow...

Willard you can keep your wolves. My heart probably would have beat right out of my chest!

I would rather see wolves that a pack of Rottweilers. One held me motionless for twenty minutes once, until it's owner finally came out of the house and told it to shut up, at which point it quickly ran off. No fun, and I saw that the dog had torn one of those inflatable sex partners up in shreds. :\:

Willard you can keep your wolves. My heart probably would have beat right out of my chest!
I was a little on edge at first too Adam. But my saw was still warm and I just finished filling it up with fuel, so I felt secure. They probably were a little cautious too while sensing the steel near me. But they didn't look afraid, just curious eyeing me up..

As I talked about wolves in Thompson Manitoba back in 1986, check out the city of Thompsons bid to be the wolf capital today. A 10 story apartment building with a wolf mural on it's side and other oddities.
www.thompsonspiritway.ca

Is this control of species monitored, or done in a scientific manner - or is it just a positive from the hunting ?

The species I mentioned.....coyote, fox, bobcat, etc are not monitored here in Alabama, aside from the "requirement" that if a bobcat is killed, a form of some sort is supposed to be filled out with details so's they can "monitor" the population. I don't know anyone who fills them out. One guy in a hunting club adjoining our property killed 9 bobcats two or three deer seasons ago. I've only killed 2 over the years. One while hunting, and the other while walking up the road.

Alabama has no closed season on fox, coyote, coon, possum, bobcat, groundhog (woodchuck), or skunk, all of which are predators/pests, either preying on livestock, etc or eating/ruining crops.

As to wolves, we do not have them here, so I can only give my opinion. I have seen photos of wolves killing elk, mule deer, etc, and can only say that if I witnessed such an attack in person, pictures are NOT what i'd be shooting.

Back