Targeted Vertical Speedline

I have posted this before but here ya go...controlling bounce is why I did this vertical speedline, too. When close to targets I have used a VS-line several times. I'm not confident that I can get them to always land flat. Could have used a GoPro camera...handheld is awful.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5-CIXVcJeG8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a limited application technique for sure, but the few times you need it then it comes in handy. If you mostly work flat ground you'll rarely use it. If you can setup a crash pad made out of limbs or a perimeter of blocks to prevent bounce/roll or some combination then that's always going to be quicker and easier for blocking down. Where it has come in to play for me has generally been on steep ground when I was working up in the mountains, particularly if you are working near the edge of a very steep drop off with property below. In those situations you can never establish a decent crash pad/log perimeter and a vertical speedline prevents the blocks from taking off down the hill and causing damage. I'm not a fan of those jobs, they're slow and hard on gear. Generally have no access for a crane, so it's hard work getting the blocks up to the chipper too. When there's no other option, the vertical speedline is an option. I generally set the top of the line with a whoopie sling which is simple to keep taking down as you work the spar down, and tension the system at the base with a roped tie off and then redirected to a porty for easy and quick tensioning of the system. Don't want to make it too tight, the goal is generally just to prevent the blocks taking off. If you plan it right, you can prevent the blocks landing on the ropes that way too.

Shaun

I usually set up a redirect of sorts at the bas of the tree with a pulley and sling... My 5/8ths pully is cheaper to replace than a porty. Allows for the roper to be more efficient if slack is need or tension is needed as well... they are out of the drop zone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
After limbing a tree up, we will use the rigging line and the portawrap we were using to VSL long sections of trunk. It is way faster than rigging out a bunch of smaller pieces, and it does insure that it doesnt go anywhere.

The rigging line just gets tied off below the notch and then loced tight on the portawrap, a sling and biner connects the butt, and usually the other end of the rigging line is used to pull.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7mZVbc7Erc8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I used the method with the Port a Wrap and sling recently. Pretty easy, just took a little time fine tuning the wraps to the weight on Porty. Much faster than blocking. Will definitely use it again. I have video but the lens was all fogged up.

Back