Tanaka Top Handled Arborist Saw

Cool looking.

TCS3401S14.jpg

Man, the Bailey's price has got to be sweet, but I'd still be a little scared to drop any money at all on that pig. Scared it'd run like an Echo. :O

Be not afraid young Jedi....
I just bought an Echo 330 on sale, modded the muffler and had it retuned under my guidance... Should do just fine. Screw the two year warranty. I will also own two Jred 2139Ts in ther near future. So while I rebuilt a couple 200Ts.. I will have some others to play with. Katy will end up with an Echo 330 for around the house.

Man, the Bailey's price has got to be sweet, but I'd still be a little scared to drop any money at all on that pig. Scared it'd run like an Echo. :O

I'd be interested to know what your issues were with the way the Echo ran. I just bought the same saw that CurSedVoyce did, a small top handle saw that will accommodate 12" to 16" bars, I believe. I haven't used it yet, but I thought Echo had a reputation for starting easily. Thanks for any opinions or advice you might have on ownership of this saw.

I have a Tanaka top handle sae and it's been doing fine for me so far. It's not the one shown in the pic but still it's a decent saw. Better than the crap sold by Stihl at that price.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I owned two 360Ts prior.. Not speed demons out of the box but improved with a slight muffler mod and some fine tuning.
The new 330 out cuts the old 360's out of the box and even more so with the mod. For 250.00 off the shelf.. I'll deal with it up to a point. I run 14" on them. 16 is still pushing it for these Echo's IMO. Have not tried the 355 yet though. But I am spoiled with the 200s.

I've got one (TCS340) bit bulky and nowhere near a 200, even for $399 I wouldn't buy another one.

I used mine on palms mainly, cut them ok but didn't like our hardwoods much. Lasted a couple of years and the coil went and the price for a new one was way too much so it's on the retired shelf.

Shindaiwa make a way better saw for not much more money, I'd buy another one of them no problem but I mainly use Stihl.

The ones I see resemble Steve's remark, pretty clunky balance. I don't know what Zenoah or when called Redmax, goes for in the states, but possible a better option.

I remember when Makita branded name was on the smaller 3301 tanaka (might be wrong on that #). Heck you could get them for 200 or less. 399 seems way high imo on the 3401.

Yep I thought so. 3401 can be bought for 299-329 baileys is one of those choices too.

My 330s are 250.00 wit tax out the door right now.

I just found $229 OTD free shipping.

I'm really thinking about trying a echo next. Really miss my 338's. Tried most top names now, 338 200 637 3410 etc.

Tanaka drills and saws have a good reputation though I have never bought one, for the money the Echos are fine really. Just lacking a heavy duty piston / cylinder like Husky's XP

Used to use tanaka 20 years ago. Reliable but under very powered. Never crushed one though. Dont know what they're like now....in fact thats the first time ive heard the name since. Another brand we had was oleomac, Italian. We thought we were being smart going cheap but you quickly lose that advantage in all the time it takes to saw through limbs:) I would always pay the extra nowdays for the real thing.

I took the RFS there probably 12 years ago Ed. I didn't partake in any of the chainsaw or climbing stuff, was just there for the threory and to sit the exam. Kinda weird going back to a school environment after being out of it for 15 years. I probably looked like somebodies Dad. But no I didn't get to use the saws.

40s no age Ed, what you are is experienced though. I was in Sidney and Brisbane 92-93....taking out all the bad ones mate. Before you got there of course:D

Well you must have missed a few.... when I got there in '98 the place was still full of huge trees next to houses :D

There was a few I wished I'd managed to duck at the time - especially when all the groundcrew would clear off to the pub for smoko without bothering to inform the climber. Aussie bastards.
yeah there was a few I probably should said no to, being such a young age. But I had too much to prove and a somewhat naive perspective.

Back