t540 xp

Check out the Husqvarna Canada website the T540XP is now available . Saw the info on it and it looks pretty impressive.
The top handle adjusts to 3 different sizes for different size hands. It has the auto on stop switch. AutoTune. Plus flippy caps but look alot more tougher then the Stihl type.

I think I'll pay my dealer a visit tomorrow morning and get one shipped in.

HT if you get one please give us some feed back. I really want to hear about this saw.
Yes I will Rajan:beerchug:
Only trouble is they introduce the 540 here now that our winter is starting full swing. I'm winding my treework down now and it's not gonna warm up at least until next March.
I don't do alot of rope access aerial work right now, I just flop the easy ones on the ground at the moment.

You guys down south should have gotten this saw first, a little backwards on Husqvarnas' part I'd say:?

You guys down south should have gotten this saw first, a little backwards on Husqvarnas' part I'd say:?

You have distributers in North Amerika that makes these desitions of what regions get what and how things are done.
Quite different from here in some aspects. Husqvarna is not the same as Husqvarna US when it comes to dealers and orders.

Well it appears Husqvarna made the right decision. My dealer called his distributer to order a T540XP and the distributer says that even though the 540 is on their website, its not available until February.
But he says the 550XP is now available in Canada:roll:

Well at least I felt excited for a little under 24 hrs:lol:

After speaking to our local dealer here again last week, it appears February 2013 is the nearest date here too.

Never know though, come January, it may get delayed again:roll:

Too right! The February date will be two and a half years past the origional release date.:what:

As a thought, is the 192t still available in US and Europe? As a stop gap, maybe well worth it.

I figure I'm not ready for the autotune stuff any way. Plus I dont plan on buying the puter hook up diagnostic tools anytime soon. Heck my local dealer dont have hook ups to update software through the puter etc yet.

Long story short Willard and a couple others talked me into to at least trying out a local 338. Well I figured I mise well just buy 2 then.

There's things I like about them better then a 200 and then there are things about the 200 I like better.

xpt338002.jpg

xpt338007.jpg

xpt338003.jpg

Used mine today actually, and I still can't find anything about it I like better than an 020 or 200. Except maybe the off switch, I don't like the choke.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
July 19 is the date I got last week. Maybe the Protos will be in the states by then too.

My dealer had one on a demo and I got to run it for a couple removals. I really liked it. It is very balanced and has a lot of power, I still like my 200 better though.

Ok, so I’ve been given a chance to try out one of these saws! I thought given this opportunity I’d share my thoughts and findings on this almost mystical being.

Please bear in mind, this is supposed to be totally unbiased, is just from my initial findings, and as this is a “pre production model” some of the points raised may well be changed on the released machine. Also please note, I have been used to using mainly Stihl gear over the years so I may run the risk of preaching to the converted, if so be gentle with me!

At first sight, it looks odd. Yes, Ive been used to seeing white toppers in my truck, but here goes.

On picking up the saw, it seems well balanced. This one is armed with a 14” bar and certainly doesn’t “tip” like the previous huskys were renown for. I even picked up a 200 with 14” bar to to see if there was much difference, and hopefully the pics will show, there isn’t. If I were to split hairs I’d almost say the Stihl has more of a tip at this bar size, but really nothing in it.

DSCF2183.jpg DSCF2185.jpg

The handle grip. It came with two other “half handles”. This is a gimmick I thought initially, BUT it was slightly slim in my hand so I took more notice. It was fitted with the “large” grip, and the others were “medium” and “extra large” so for the hell of it I thought I’d fit the XL just for the feel. I thought this would be a clip on and off procedure possibly, but no. Four screws in total, and unfortunately one of those is situated behind the side cover. The grip also houses the stop switch, but no big issues really, just not quite the easy on and off I thought it could have been, more like 5 minutes. Dare say it’ll be the type of thing that will get left as a “mid ground size” if there were multiple users, once the newness wears off. Very beneficial though to get the perfect grip for a single user.

DSCF2167.jpg DSCF2166.jpg

Fuelling. Being a Stihl man, I have the auto fill/none spill nozzles on my cans. These will not go in the fuel hole! I guess the husky filling system would be needed here, or the old fashioned “pour in” way! I did note Holman Tree commented he had seen a version with a twisty type cap, but this one was along the lines of the other screw type huskys, only seems very small.

DSCF2172.jpg

Starting. Choke on, brake on, prime, and pull. Fires, then fiddle, fiddle, fiddle to get the choke off. Not to my liking I’m afraid, I just hope when the production model comes out, someone will have realised the choke lever needs a bigger tag on it!

DSCF2157.jpg

Running up. Starts well, with the same characteristics as the 550 and 560. Held at full throttle the splutter of the auto tune soon settles down ready for action. Revving up is quick, responsive and with a kick that’s almost expected after all the hype.

In the cut. Yet again, similar traits as the other auto tunes, pulls very hard, revving evenly yet when put under heavier load, it seems to find that little extra punch! Very impressed in hardwood pulling its 14” of .050” ¼” semi chisel.

Use. I note there is a plastic loop at the rear. Very easy to automatically think this is the tool strop ring, but no, its (not so clearly ) marked “no rope”. The tool ring is located immediately to the side of this other loop and is retractable steel loop. I really cannot figure what the other loop is for, I’m very open to suggestions there! Also a nice little cut out for your thumb to rest, it doesn’t look much, but sure gives a feeling you located your hand properly when you pick it up again.

DSCF2161.jpg DSCF2163.jpg DSCF2164.jpg DSCF2171.jpg DSCF2170.jpg

Stopper. Auto reset back to start that I like, perhaps this switch feels a little awkward, but that’s possibly just me. I’m sure with time it won’t be difficult to get used to. Hey, it may even be a smoother more modern one on the released version!

On the bench. Removing the filter cover is straight from the MS200 I think, so easy peasy and I’m sure it can’t get knocked or pulled off by a stray twig in the tree. The filter is easy to clip off and clean. Underneath the filter is some kind of technical magic. Seeing two carb inlet ports has totally left me somewhere in the dark ages! All I could tell is one is butterflied on the choke, the other on the throttle. At this point I decided it was best to put the cover back on! Spark plug seems easy access like the older 338s etc so no extra panels to remove there either.

DSCF2175.jpg DSCF2178.jpg

All the above have been my own findings, with what I hope have been an open mind. Next week my regular climber Ben will put it through its paces and if there’s enough enthusiasm, and I haven’t bored you all to tears, I will report back with his thoughts following a little more "in tree use".

008.jpg 010.jpg
I had no experience with the 338, but in my collection is 339 ... My experience is that there is very brittle plastic is used, unreliable starter and oil capacity problems. My 339 possesses roughly the same power as the Stihl 192. There's also a problem with the feeds missing oil directly ...

Back