Husky T540I XP

Congratulations on your purchase, TINYHULK! Definitely need a drink on this occasion. The best saw is a new saw! :) This tiny battery-powered Echo looks more harmonious than its gasoline-powered relatives. F148F5D6-226C-4795-B224-B48D9046DBB5.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m definitely excited to run it. We got a snow today that was just bad enough to stop us from doing tree work but didn’t stick on the streets well enough to get plow work so I got to clean all my gear and ropes today 😁 probably gonna order the panther conversion kit today and get a second battery in a couple weeks

looks nice and light, I was doing some line clearance a few days ago, standing on a 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" limb about 10ft out from the trunk, reaching over the line (house drop low voltage) one handing my 194T, and it was getting heavy towards the end of the tree, stuff like that is a time I wish I had the 2511, but I dont do enough small stuff to justify it at the moment, generally im working in 6-12" stuff, so the 194 with 14" bar is pretty good but a 200 is in order for the future

My old boss had a 194 and it felt good in the hands but I felt like it had a real slow cut. My new boss has a 201tc and I’m free to use his saw instead of mine but I need to give his a proper sharp and ground testing before I take it in the air. I typically take one saw to work, anything more than that has to be on the bosses request with compensation (unless I just want to bring one for fun). So I’ll probably start taking the dcs 2500 and once it gets too small I’ll use the bosses 201. I love being able to handle the saw for cutting off little suckers and small branches on my way up without having a running saw on my hip. Already ordered the panther 1/4in conversion kit so I’ll get to run it for awhile with the 3/8lp then experience the difference

do you know what chain was on that 194? they come with homeowner chain, and it is hot garbage, I was happy when a limb caught it and bent my chain, got the pro chain (no second raker) and it cuts much nicer

at one point I put my polesaw B&C on it, 0.043 instead of 0.050 and it cut super nice, also homeowner chain

I’m sure my old boss had home owner chains on it. I told him about the pro yellow label chains and he wouldn’t listen to me (another motivation as to why I don’t work for him anymore lol). I’m sure they could be modified to be nasty. Only thing I saw happen to his was the week before I resigned his chain brake quit acting right (could have just needed a cleaning or something).
So update on the dcs2500. Went to work today with the new battery saw, never used the stock homeowner chain but went straight to an Oregon versa cut chain. Seemed to cut damn good, was absolutely in love with the light weight and balance. Only thing so far was that after about 2-3 hours it was dead. I was doing bucket truck work so pretty much non stop cutting but still a little upset about the run time of one battery. The trade off for me is that the balance of the saw with the battery and a 12in bar is incredible and the batteries charge faster than they die so at a final investment of $855 ($500 for saw, $200 for handheld blower (gives me an extra battery and charger), and $155 for a monkey beaver “panther 1/4in conversion kit”) plus having a power inverter around I will be able to run the saw all day long keeping one battery charging while I’m running the other. Over all I love the saw and they do make a larger battery but if you look at the casing of the saw and how it wraps around the battery, the 5ah wouldn’t fit and honestly I wouldn’t want it. Would weigh more and throw the weight of the saw off balance

One day I may put a 1/4in conversion with a 14in bar on my Cs355t. Now that saw would absolutely scream through some wood lol

IME, safety, homeowner, whatever chains cut as well as pro chains aside from using the bar nose. You also have to compare apples-apples. Most safety chain is semi chisel. Comparing it to full chisel isn't a direct comparison.

Very true, the versa cut I have been running is a semi chisel. Is there a good brand of chain that is 3/8lp and still full chisel?
Also just did my first dead battery to full recharge and it took 57min so that’s pretty good if I’m always running two batteries and a charger on the job

Stihl doesn't have a yellow labeled pro grade version of .043 gauge chain, but what they do have cuts very well when new. Then the depth gauges/bumpers get to be a pain to file with how big they are.

.043 3/8 will be the fastest chain you can find for a top handle. Archer has a pro version, but the teeth are also bigger which defeats the purpose of .043 narrow gauge, and their chains are not usually shaped for speed.

Stihl sells it. I use semi chisel on all my saws. I cut a lot of trash, and semi chisel holds up better under dirty conditions. I have a couple loops of full chisel I'm saving for a nice clean job, but that hasn't come around yet. For very small saws like your echo, full chisel could end up being chattery. Just speculating. You'd have to try it to know for sure.

realtime edit:
When I say Stihl makes full chisel lopro, I mean standard chain. Dunno about narrow kerf. Nutball should know though.

So far the only yellow label 3/8lp chain I have ran is the versa cut from Oregon. Been super happy with it on my 355 and it’s on my 2500 now until I convert it to 1/4 pitch. One thing I like about the 12in panther kit for my echo is that it’s the exact same chain and drive link count as the stihl pmm chain so I can eventually put a stihl 1/4in on it when the panther chains wear out

On the topic of the husky t540ixp. Does anyone have experience with this saw where you can talk about the weight and handling of it say compared to a 201tc? Used my bosses today when my battery died and besides for the chain being dull I enjoyed it. Was curious where the weight of the husky fell in to the gas saws

On the topic of the husky t540ixp. Does anyone have experience with this saw where you can talk about the weight and handling of it say compared to a 201tc? Used my bosses today when my battery died and besides for the chain being dull I enjoyed it. Was curious where the weight of the husky fell in to the gas saws
I like my 540i

Last edited:
Gotcha, so how does the 540 (with the bli200 in saw) compare to the weight and performance of a 201?

also update on the dcs2500: got the monkey beaver panther conversion kit for the saw. A video I watched stated that the sprocket was the same as the cs2511 but that is not true. The drum sprocket is thinner and is keyed/slotted while the cs2511 is a clean circle in the middle so one will not mount to the other. Got the bar and chains atleast, just gotta wait to find the right sprocket. Got the blower from this line up today so now I have two batteries for the sae

That's fantastic!

There's nothing worse than someone posting a support question, then later posting "Never mind, I fixed it" without saying how they fixed it, so everyone after that has the same problem has no idea where to look.

Not exactly the same thing here, but similar. Thanks for thinking of other people :^)

After going through tough dead ash logs, the 540iXP motor just vibrates. Even without a bar and chain and the cover off, it just vibrates instead of spinning. Anyone had this happen?

After going through tough dead ash logs, the 540iXP motor just vibrates. Even without a bar and chain and the cover off, it just vibrates instead of spinning. Anyone had this happen?
havent ever seen that personally
id say you got junk in a bearing, stopping it from moving but its pulling the internals around with the magnets still, left to right instead of round and round
im no expert but shouldnt hurt to pull some plastic off and look, as long as you take pics and are 100% certain you can figure out how to put it back together, I havent pulled one apart yet

Something broke or got jammed. Could be broken gears, a broken wire, a broken magnet, or a faulty motor speed controller.

I opened it and there was a shot glass worth of fine dust that came out of it. After that the motor freed up. Back to like new again.
good to hear
the one I run has an extra fine dust cover, there is extra labeling and something about bluetooth under it, if you can read those then put the dust cover on if you have one, buy one if you dont

59B47464-B61A-46B5-BBF6-954AD9C80F0D.jpeg.e28d9fadbc288446a9119b00c5b11ba4.jpeg

Back