Survival gear.

16" bag?

You need a small knife then. :) http://www.hammacher.com/Product/74670?promo=search&query=gy74670

Hm, I have been buying up a storm on Ebay, of camping/surplus gear, not that I am building a panic bag but the items will be packed in a pack and stored in my locker so it would be ready at the drop of a hat so to speak. Mostly it is a MOLLE pack with a (large) number of additional packing compartments but I have also bought a few other trinkets including water tablets, fire steel, some first aid kit additions etc. The last ticket item I have my eyes on is a Katadyn water filter.
The other things you mention like knives, waterproof strike anywhere matches, flashlights etc, I have a bunch of them around the house already, no need to squirrel them away, heck the boy would likely find them and drain the batteries anyways, if I decided to hide them. When I leave them out in plain sight, he seems to not care less about them. :) In regards to salt and stored food, I bet we could go a month with the canned and other non perishables we have in the pantry closet.
In regards to personal protection, I have been considering getting my restricted firearms license (for hand guns, I have a non restricted which allows rifles, shoguns and crossbows) but between the course, the exam and actually buying a firearm, its a whole bunch of pennies, nickels and dimes added up, I dont have the disposable income for it at the moment.

Andy you mentioned HAM radio, is there a handheld version of such a beast? Whats a good basic unit? Erik? Input?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have one of these, http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-006327, waterproof, light lots of operating modes and has a great wide band receiver. but I would NEVER recommend it to anyone but the most serious of HAM operators. It's a real pain in the ass to use and operate!
Unless you really want to get into HAM radio, I'd look more into wideband receivers/scanners maybe even a portable shortwave radio?
Here's a link to some small wide band receivers, rechargeable's are OK but I'd make sure to get a AA battery holder.

Hm, I have a Bearcat scanner, goes to doesnt go as high as 900MHZ though, wont pick up the cell phones. It runs a 10 channel scan constant, on the 10 freq's I choose and program in. I have a windup/dynamo am/fm radio and a handheld 40 channel CB with 3 weatherband settings.
I didnt see a link where you said you were posting one for small wideband recievers?

Pete is way way right they are waaayyyy better than nothing - the trick is finding a strong one . The wind will shread umm to nothing .

Andy, thanks for the link.

Darkstar, what are you referring to? I went back 3 pages and it doesnt seem to be obvious.

What about having a Chip Truck and Chipper secreted away in an underground Bunker?You could load the Bed with TP and Ammo,then when the Shit leaves the Fan rise like a Phoenix into the waste land, sell the TP and use the Ammo to hold off John Nosak?

Last edited:
Nosak that's funny!

What about having a Chip Truck and Chipper secreted away in an underground Bunker?You could load the Bed with TP and Ammo,then when the Shit leaves the Fan rise like a Phoenix into the waste land, sell the TP and use the Ammo to hold off John Nosak?

I hear those things are the bane of rescue workers everywhere as a lot of lame folks want rescuing in non life threatening situations, taxing rescue resources.

Darin, I believe it.
CuRsED, Sat phone would likely be a better idea, for day to day. The SPOT deal is also a $100 a year subscription service.

Back