Super split

splitter.gif

http://www.split-fire.com/

I tell everyone about these little splitters, they're amazing. They split both ways and you can get them with a cradle that lifts the pieces onto the splitting bench. Look at the video, there's one in which the guy puts a block on a 45 degree angle and it still goes though it. They're not a big machine, easy to move around. I'm not sure if you can buy them outside of canada though.

I would mount another ram to lift and lower the splitter from horz to vert and vice versa... One of my customers has one that is a huge splitter and it sure makes set up easy... He added the small ram and the extra valve hisself... I wish I had the talent.. BUTTTT.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
On those lesser powered splitters you can get by using a knige edge cutter instead of a wedge type .They actually do pretty good .You just have to run the stroke more because of no wedging action which isn't that big of a deal .

One problem ,if there is one ,with those non tiltable splitters would be large rounds .Lift or no it could be a beech getting a 200 pound round in them .
This might not be a problem for most people .In my case though it would be because a lot of my wood comes from the two tree services I help out with on their equipment .Big old oaks, 3 feet fat boys that have been loaded on a dump trailer or truck with a skid loader .

I would mount another ram to lift and lower the splitter from horz to vert and vice versa... One of my customers has one that is a huge splitter and it sure makes set up easy... He added the small ram and the extra valve hisself... I wish I had the talent.. BUTTTT.

you may as well get a normal splitter if you tip it vertical

I have somewhat of an abstract mind and look at things differently than a lot of folks .With that in mind a thought occured to me today .

It realistically takes me about 3 hours to do a cord the time it takes to cut it from a pile ,split and stack it etc .Most likely add about another hour the time to tote it in the house ,fire the stove and haul out the ashes . So 4 hours per .

The stuff sells locally for 150 a cord ,that would 37.50 per hour .It takes me more than 50 bucks earned to have that 37.50 left over after the greedy gov gets its' share in income tax and other tarrifs they decide to burden the working man with .Now 50 bucks an hour is not too shabby in most peoples book .

Of course none of this applies to central Florida ,the Keys ,parts of Mississippi or southern Cal . Makes sense in the frozen tundra of the north country though in Jan ,snow arse deep to a tall Indian ,10 below with a 15 MPH wind . Down south firewood is a burden ,up here it's a commodity .

I think it's because of that valley area in Cal .Smog like stuff ,air pollution .

You had a no burn day for fire places down there Steve and I had a burn day up here in Mariposa. Katy cut a bunch of brush today and I dropped a few bull pines that were crowding the oaks and we have been burning all day.

Little side tangent, this is a very cool Idea to add to your splitter. Spotted this "Wood Corral" at the Paul Bunyan show in 07 also met AL there!

You load all your cut rounds into it with a loader, then a conveyor on the bottom delivers them to your splitter table - - - no bending over and rolling them over and . . all that other bent over back work to get the rounds to the your splitter table or lift. I am building myself one - could not find a website on it

Al do you know who is making this?

Attachments

• wood corral.jpg
    wood corral.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 7
I don't have a clue who made that . There is so much stuff at that place I can't tell one from another .A lot of it was set up for high production stuff and carried a pretty hefty price tag .Like a wood processer at 80 grand .:O

First of all you would have to have an unlimited supply of wood plus be able to sell a huge amount just to pay for one of those things . They claimed they would do two cords per hour but so can 4-5 men with two splitters if you don't fiddley fart around .

Some people wear jackets and stuff...

Guess I have no idea, he#l, I don't even have insulation at my place.

It's been so cold lately I had to put on a T-shirt this afternoon...

This CA weather really sucks...

Oh sure you can do that in parts of California ,Florida .It takes a tad more than than a tee in Mass.,Ohio ,Idaho or BC though .

You ain't kiddin'. 13 degrees the other morning... had a hell of a time starting the trucks. Frozen air line on the Mack this morning, took a bit for that to thaw out.

Was workin in 80 deg. weather day before yesterday.

I wear coveralls alot...

was sweatin' it out.

I think maybe 22 is the lowest so far .I did have a tee shirt--plus a quilted flannel --plus a hooded Carhart coat. I do have the fire cooking in the stove as I type .

It normally gets colder in Mass than it does here .--but on occasions the mercury can take a drop .Lowest I 've ever seen was 31 below.I was out in it too .Normally maybe a week of 10 below is about it though .Usually Jan. hangs at zero 10-15 above towards the end of the month .

No I don't .When I was there I thought they liked boys off the farm in Ohio .Musta been wrong .:(

Back