pulley set-up for Blake's on a split tail?

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all:

When and if I graduate to a split tail Blake's system for ease of passing obstructions, I'd like to add a hitch-tending pulley.

What I'm wondering is how to configure it. Option one would be as in this picture from The Tree Climber's Companion, with a dog snap on the split tail 'biner.

split6.bmp

Option two would be higher on the working end like this, adding some accessory cord in a prusik to hold the dog snap.

prusik-tending-pulley.jpg

This seems better in that you could set it up to get a longer pull, but disadvantageous in that it seems to creates another "bridge" you'd have to undo before passing any obstacle?

Aside from being one less piece of gear, option one seems more efficient when it comes to unclipping and re-clipping quickly. Am I thinking clearly?

Buy a piece of hitch cord, tie into an eye and eye. Skip the Blake's. It works, its not obsolete, exactly, but...

You're into it for about $30, second biner, bulk cord, pulley...

Sean may be right...I used taut line forever..then discovered in the 90's the tree forums on the internet...then got directed to Jepson's book and started using the Blakes where one end was a spliced eye and I tied the Blakes hitch. Being able to detach the Blake's from the saddle without having to untie and retie was a big game changer in climbing for me.

It wasn't long before I went to an eye-eye like Sean says and started using a Knut hitch and micropulley below it.

Go ahead and get some Tenex or Ice Blue spliced eye-eye and you will be amazed at how much of a difference it makes.

Here is yellow tenex: http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=96

I searched for what I remember being called "Ice Blue" but don't seem to find it now...very similar to the yellow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, guys.

Are you talking about going all the way to something like a Hitch Climber, or is this an interim step? Got a linky to any pictures of the set-up...?

Hitch climber is a nice streamline easy to inspect setup. Google or youtube search, I inderstand budgets, but for a combo for $110 US.. com'on join the overspenders club, use the discount code on Treestuff! Do it, do it nowwwww.

I think that everyone should know the basic Ddrt system first but the hitch climber is sooooo nice.
You can use a tending pulley on your system if you want.

Sean may be right...I used taut line forever..then discovered in the 90's the tree forums on the internet...then got directed to Jepson's book and started using the Blakes where one end was a spliced eye and I tied the Blakes hitch. Being able to detach the Blake's from the saddle without having to untie and retie was a big game changer in climbing for me.

It wasn't long before I went to an eye-eye like Sean says and started using a Knut hitch and micropulley below it.

Go ahead and get some Tenex or Ice Blue spliced eye-eye and you will be amazed at how much of a difference it makes.

Here is yellow tenex: http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=96

I searched for what I remember being called "Ice Blue" but don't seem to find it now...very similar to the yellow.

Are you referring to Ice Tail, Gary? That's what I use the most.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=127&item=1615

Spellfeller, in response to your original post, I climb quite often on a 75' pice of ArborPlex, with a tautline hitch. If/when I'm pulling up, however, (short haul), I'll tie a Blake's and add a pulley for tending. It does not, however, advance the Blake's as easily as it would a hitch tied with an eye-n-eye. I have, at times, clipped the pulley onto a length of cord so I can slide it up the standing line a ways, and so each pull directly forces the hitch up, somewhat like your second pic, just farther ahead for a longer pull. Since converting to other styles, though, if I'm doing much climbing about in the tree, I use a VT. Easy up, easy down. Still no substitute for the absolute simplicity of the tautline on a short rope.

I would recommend not adding a pulley at all. I climbed for years and years without one and there is a lot of good things to be said about keeping your hand on the knot as you advance it. It is a safe method as you are always in contact with your climbing knot so you will know if it is getting too loose or tight or moving out of your reach. After you have been climbing for awhile, knot response will become second nature and that is a good time to go with a Hitchclimber pulley or better yet an HH2.

Buy a piece of hitch cord, tie into an eye and eye. Skip the Blake's. It works, its not obsolete, exactly, but...
You're into it for about $30, second biner, bulk cord, pulley...

Sean, is this what you're thinking...

simple eye to eye.gif

I'm thinking more like $60, but still not bad! :)

'biner: $20
pulley: $30
E2E: $10

Thanks for the feedback and the link, treesmith.

DMc, very interesting perspective. What are your thoughts on just progressing to a split tail by itself (no pulley)?

I like icetail as well.

I spent a couple years on split tail, then I discovered the Hitch Climber pulley. I LOVED it. Sooo much easier.
Spend a bit of time on a split tail if you want, but moving to the HC wouldn't be so bad.

Then when you're happy with that, try the Hitch Hiker on double rope, then when you feel like it you can move right to SRT!

BAM...done :)

I liked the distel hitch as I was progressing...still use it on my lanyard.

Shorter legs in the hitch. The rope will be over not under the bottom, narrow party of the biner, passing thru the middle of the biner.

Aha! I think I've got it. If/when I get an E2E, I'll post up a picture to be sure I understand.

Thanks!

Back