Stump grinding estimate

Little A's

TreeHouser
Hi Everyone, I usually sub out stump grinding but got a call to do over 100 stumps and want to give it a go since I am slow right now. The stumps range in size from 6-36" with the average probably in the 24" range or so, mostly pine, easy access. I can rent a 60 hp diesel chipper for a little over $200/day. Any ideas on how to bid this would be appreciated...probably need to get the bid in tomorrow.

Thanks,
Greg

Shoot without seeing it its tough to say, also not knowing what grinder you will have. To just grind the stumps, no clean up of any sort Id say at least $2K. Remember to take tunes as grinding is boring... Id say you should get $1K a day for solid grinding.

Where are you located? 100 stumps averaging 24", cut typically low... pine here could have a plethora of surface roots.... ground ~10" deep... $2-3k wouldn't be reasonable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shoot without seeing it its tough to say, also not knowing what grinder you will have. To just grind the stumps, no clean up of any sort Id say at least $2K. Remember to take tunes as grinding is boring... Id say you should get $1K a day for solid grinding.

I do have to clean the chips up...just move to different area, not haul off. I was thinking in the minimum of $5000 range, maybe closer to $6000. Don't want to over bid but nobody wants to under bid either. It is a lot of stumps!!

Greg

100 24" stumps seems like way too cheap at $2-3K, and I never felt like I made decent money on stumps. Probably because I underestimated the clean-up. A machine is crucial for that clean-up.

Little A, welcome, where are you? Market dependent, you know.

Nobody wants to pay to grind stumps and move grindings, either, by bidding too low.

How far do the chips have to be moved? What are you moving the chips with? What exact stump grinder? How far is the drive to rental facility? How far is the drive to the job site? Even with all of this info, every market is going to be different.

Man, if u could find an outfit to rent a skid loader grinder.......that job would be a katz azz.

We charge $5 an inch. That would put it at $12000. I'd feel pretty comfortable that you could get it done for that. :beer:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I would say $2500 just for the stumps with $1500 ore for the clean up. The best way to make out is to have a crew following you for the clean up so it would make for a $4k day. I have done 69 stumps in nine hours with two hours travel time for 1800 no clean up and they paid for fuel. So 200 an hour is not too bad for one dude and a stumper and I only hit one rock.

We charge $5 an inch. That would put it at $12000. I'd feel pretty comfortable that you could get it done for that. :beer:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Holy moly! We could have those 100 stumps done and cleaned up in a day. 12k would be nice.

Like emr I charge by the inch too, but a little higher at $6 per inch with cleanup and $4 grinding only. Depending on the job site for access etc. I'm flexible to offer a discount with that many stumps.
Most customers want to save money so the options are on the table. With a yard with this many stumps to be removed from experience I find most times the customer will just bring in a contractor with a back hoe, loader and tandem dump truck....strip the lot ,haul it away and bring in top soil then finish with sod.

I hate stump estimates. We price them so we hopefully dont get them. If its a big job....like one hundred stumps.... I would bid an hourly rate. I wouldnt really bit $12k unless I thought it would take that long. I really want to start telling people that we dont grind stumps unless we cut the trees. There is just no money in stumps. At least not for me.

Yeah, as long as the stumps are cut to the right height they only take a few minutes to do. I'm not accounting for any serious root flares or above ground roots.

I am by the inch also. $5/ with cleanup. I'd take that twelve G and reduce it by 4 G because of volume. Call it $8000

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am by the inch also. $5/ with cleanup. I'd take that twelve G and reduce it by 4 G because of volume. Call it $8000

Thanks for all the help...I was probably a little over on the 24" average size. I priced it at $6250 and think I can make a profit on it...hopefully. In another month I will be pretty busy and would be in a bind trying to get all that done.

Greg

That's a solid price I think for grinding and cleaning up the excess chips. A BMG HD and Scoops do a wonderful job of cleaning them up.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ooa2Osicwb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-3ieIvUM9Bo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You remote control users, chime in here. You couldn't pay me enough to stand in front of that wheel like the old guy is doing. Am I wrong, is that safe?
I was thinking the exact same thing. One rock between the eyes and he's tits up......

With the front guard down I've never seen anything shoot forward from mine. Mine is almost identical to that one only older

Back