Stumbles and Blunders

Fiddler

Treehouser
Well, It's been 6 mos since I went to KY and brought home my Hatfeild 5-string.

After 25 years without playing one I had to start all over again. I figure after a half year I ought to start annoying people with the sound of it and I instantly thought of annoying you-all as I know there are a few musicians here who can get a good chuckle watching me muff up.:)

OK, actually I am just experimenting with my new camera and seeing if I can put a video on the .net.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rkEKNrwvWrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0SL9Qngetxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S8h2ypGklG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And that's a pretty typical evening around here...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like it worked...I'm not sure is it's a good or bad thing...

First vid should be fixed. If I knew anything about video editing I could have thrown in some other instruments, I'm just surprised my camera takes movies with sound and will record the banjo without distorting it more than it does.:)

Looks like you are getting right back into it again Dave ..... Sweet! Thanks for sharing that...
Now I feel like I should be on a front porch or sumptin :D

I could cut you something much cleaner, possibly add Bas and guitar, and make it the correct length if you wanted.

Your picking is great, Fiddler. We could work on something together I'm sure. Currently I'm working on a project that is going to keep me busy for a while. When I get done with it I'll be thinking about starting another. Maybe a short video with your talent in the background would be good I think.

In the meantime please keep pickin.

Thanks, I pick some every evening. I'm happy to help out anytime, as I am usually dinking around with the digital recorder to collaborate on another site w/other musicians anyway.

That's some nice playing! I've always been fascinated by banjo, they look mad hard to play, keeping all those fingers goin at once!

Here's a link to one of my favorite musical pieces ever. On the final "ride down the mountain," I always get chills. And the whole concept of an idiot savant playing a beat up old banjo that looks like it has a clothespin built into it is wild. Fiddler, exactly how hard is it to play as fast as in this clip? Is that rare world class talent or is it not uncommon among banjo players?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/myhnAZFR1po" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yo, MB, how do I imbed the link instead of just pasting it here to be clicked on? Sorry, I keep forgetting

Did it. Thankyou!

No love for that classic clip???

Cory, The tempo is pretty common in bluegrass. There are songs that are quite a bit faster, as well as much slower.

Eric Weisberg is given credit for writing "dueling banjos" and playing banjo on the movie sound track. the song itself is basically a rip-off of an older tune called "feuding fiddles".
Eric was an accomplished professional player but not considered in the top ten or twenty in banjo players by any means. His name is rarely, if ever mentioned in comversations about the great artists on the instrument.

The clothes pin is being used as a capo in conjunction with a rubber band to make the song come out in a higher key without having to play it differently. I've used them before when I've misplaced my capo, as well as pencils, wooden dowels, etc. here is a pic of a few of my capos. Left is for banjo and the other two are for guitar.

capos 001.jpg

I have trouble playing at that fast of a speed because of all the manual labor I've done over the years. Building the muscles up in my hands has slowed them down over the years.

Thanks for the detailed answer! I shoulda guessed that was a capo but i've never seen a homemade one before.

Banjo soundtrack to Gerry's vid would be sick!

Banjo rocks!:headbang:

Back