Strength of top, rear of Southco box??

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
Seeing Willie's bucket resting on the cradle at the back of his chip box (OEM, I'm figuring), I'm wondering how strong the box is. I have a rigging point on the top of the box that I've used to speedline truck wide log chunks into the box, and figure I can use it with a block and tackle or capstan/ winch for lifting rounds into the truck, but wonder if I could pull some 10' logs up into the truck using the top of the box (near the triple light bar) to lift the front of the log, then choking the rear of the log, akin to using the chipper winch to pull up the butt, then 'tip-tying' the winch to lift the back end for then engaging the feed wheels. Hope that sorta makes sense.

I've thought of welding on some short bolt studs to the box to add some diagonal braces if I'm really going to try to make it work and need some extension from the back of the bed a bit, and would have a sloped piece of metal welded below the door so the logs don't catch on the 90 degree edge. I figure if I don't need the extension, I can just wedge some 2x6 in place, vertically. I'm figuring that once in the box, I can peavey the logs to the sides, to some degree.

I'm not figuring much in the way of mill logs for sale. I have a bandsaw miller 1 mile away, and would like to take a chunk every so often, as something comes available. The manual winch on my trailer has worked in the past, but the trailer is not heavy capacity, nor always on the jobsite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My kboom log loader could be prohibitively expensive for some small loads, but if I can do it myself, I could end up with a 10-16' log that would otherwise be firewood.

Train-tanker-implosion.gif

Back