Stihl flat top 066

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
Heres the deal. I got it for cheap a bit back and have hardly used it. Its very clean for its age. Antivibes still tight. Air filter is nearly brand new. I had jumbo bucking spikes put on it, new rings as the compression was a tad low, and a carb rebuild. It is my honest belief that the usage on the saw is low, but someone ran it lean or something at one point before I got it. It needs work though. I want to be upfront about that. The clutch seems to stick a bit when it is up to temp, and it seems a little doggy still. Not horrible. I think the carb needs tuned better. The local dealer is an old timer that thinks every little thing will blow a saw up so after carb rebuild he tuned it to 12,100 max which I think is lacking. The chain brake lever is broken. So, if someone wants it, they'd be probably in it for a used chain brake lever on ebay, a new clutch, and a little turn of the high screw on the carb. Its starts great, runs great, idles fine. The chain will spin a bit even at idle and that's what leads me to believe the clutch is sticking. I don't have compression or vacuum numbers and don't have plans of doing so. I don't have the time to play with it and run it to the shop. If I did, I'd keep it. I just don't really need as many big saws and I figured this would be a good candidate to sell to someone in need who has an hour or two to fiddle with a few things. Nothing cracked or destroyed or warped on the saw. its rather clean for its age. I want $350 shipped in the lower 48. Power head only. I make absolutely no guarantees. The thing could show up and fail to start and catch on fire for all I know. I guarantee the things I have experienced with the saw are accurate and nothing else. Ill take paypal. I haven't posted it for sale elsewhere yet. Id rather see if any TH folks could use a big saw. I think with the shipping factored in, and paypal fees, my price is fair. Id rather not take less then that. Ive sold saws on here to other folks and Im sure they'd chime in that I was honest and fair.

This is it prior to jumbo dawgs

No smart remarks on the Echo in the background. I got that saw new in the box for $100 a few years ago and kept it as a chipper saw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like 1BUS (Joe) is going to snag it. He is in my neck of the woods doing some natural gas industry work.

Hello,
If you still have that saw I would like to buy it.
Thank you

Im meeting Joe today. We settled on a few bucks less then asking price because I am saving shipping costs. I could have put it on ebay and tried to get a little more for it but my intention was to see a treehouser get a fair deal and have a big saw to make some money with. I have more saws I will list soon.

I didn't mean it to toot my horn. I just meant I preferred to see someone here put a little work into it and have a good tool, over some stranger on ebay. I guess it doesn't matter either way, its just one of my quirks.

Thanks for the welcome. I registered when I saw this original post hoping to get the saw but, alas, it took too long. Oh well, now I am ready for the next one!

By the way, congratulations to the person how purchased this saw, enjoy!

Just hang out and make yourself at home, when you're of a mind to. Are you a Logger? Climber? Your profile is a bit lacking...

My name's Butch, BTW.

I had the pleasure of meeting 1BUS(Joe) tonight. A real down to earth guy. We had a nice long chat and might even get out to do some fishing if his job keeps him in my area enough. Heck of a nice guy.

I have been climbing trees for a couple of years now and I am fascinated by the job. Never thought I would be so excited to get up and go to work everyday! I've been reading posts on this forum for a couple of months and have learned lots (thanks everybody.) I used to have one of these older 66's and loved it but I had to sell it recently in some hard times, I've been wanting to have a new one ever since. This deal looked to be too good to pass up.

Yea it's sold, Chris gave me a good deal, it was nice to put a face to a name, he's a straight forward guy to deal with, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again.

Alright Chris: sell me another one of your saws. I blew up my 395, and have to split the case to get it back! :cry: :cry:

So I'm in the market for another big saw. Anyone got one gatherin' dust? Al? Anyone?

No, my other big saws have special places in my heart. The truth is that I go to my 288XP Lite for big wood. Not the meanest dog in the world, but a strong one regardless. That was the 1st real saw I bought when I went into business. I bought it used from a logging shop. That saw has marched into many battles with me and I recently, after 7 years, put a new spark plug in it. When it does one day, which I don't believe will ever happen, I will hang it from the ceiling of the garage with my original logo painted on the bar. That saw and I have seen good times and bad and regardless, always fires with one pull. Literally, one pull and it pops and you knock the chock lever in quickly and it winds right up. NEVER a second yank.

Back