Stihl Elastrostart

I don't know what exactly is happening. The 460's rope was worn, so it ended up breaking. On the other one I can't remember. The fact that you have to buy the rope with the little nipple on the end sucks. Then I gotta order it, wait, pickup.

Although I kinda get the drift on what your telling me to do.

It tell guys this all the time. Notice the orientation of the hole where the pull cord comes out. DO NOT pull the handle in any direction, except inline with said hole and your starter cords will last longer.:)

I have started disliking the way it takes the "snap" out of the pull when cold-starting....:what:

I cut the elasto-start right off my 066. Couldnt stand the spongy feel and the amount of give (stretch) on the start.

But I did like it on 361 and 200 ( I think one was on it). Just didnt like it on the 066.

I think Baileys even sales the aftermarket ones for half price of OEM. You might check.

You guys must have a delicate touch when it comes to starting saws... :)

I just grip and rip... don't give it any thought. But I have found the Elastostart handles help if I miss the compression stroke and get a little "jolt".

Gary

Yup. It might be a recent addition to the model, I just bought mine a few months ago.

I wish they made them for a 200.
I'm almost sure when Tom got that mess of saws replaced that got stolen all of them,200t,460 and 660 had that type starter handle .

Fact is Baileys sent a whole slew of them to the Ohio GTG last fall .These were little ones .Fact is I've never installed them yet .I'll see this weekend what they fit .If they go on a 200T I'll send you one .

Stihl makes several sizes to fit all their equipment from the smallest weedwacker and blower all the way up to the MS880. The box will say which size it is and what equipment it fits correctly.

These were in bulk .Baileys must have sent a half a pick up full of stuff .Those handle ,pictures of Gerry B. up in that big redwood,Huskie pistons and coils,cylinders .Just tons of stuff .

I'm not even certain of how you even install those handles .Tie a knot in them,whatever ? Got not a clue :?

Some times I'm so slow about these things it's pitifull .

I finally got around to installing the springy starter gizmo on the baby Stihl . Geeze all it is is a little spring thing with a plastic tube over it .How simple is that ?

Any way the one I said I would send will go out in a few days as I have a few more goodies to add to the box .;)

Attachments

• MS 200T starter 001.jpg
    MS 200T starter 001.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 125
  • MS 200T starter 002.jpg
    MS 200T starter 002.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 127
I wish they made them for a 200.

I just fitted one to my favourite saw, $35. What a ripper.

I thought it might get in the way but it doesn't seem to when I tried it left handed. :D

It's way better than the one Al was talking about. 8)

Attachments

• sat 15aug 004.jpg
    sat 15aug 004.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 93
  • sat 15aug 003.jpg
    sat 15aug 003.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 93
  • sat 15aug 005.jpg
    sat 15aug 005.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 92
Hey Steve, the third picture shows the correct size elasto-start handle for the 020/200T. The first two pictures, that's the wrong size and is for bigger saws. The rope diameter is bigger as well as the handle size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was at the Stihl store this morning picking up some suitcase weights and spending alot of money, when I saw the handles on the shelf.

Picked up 3 of them, the 460 has almost been ripping my hand off lately so I said why not.

For reasons unknown to me I couldn't find the genaric springy starters that Baileys sell or sold at one time .It's a lead pipe cinch they would be a darned bit cheaper than those sold by the all mighty Stihl corp .Most likely work just as well to boot .

Back