Stien RC 3002 Lowering Device.....Anyone got one

I think what Willie was saying he would pre-tension the line before the piece was cut, then stand clear holding the tail of the rope at the ready to lower.

It's possible with the GRCS winch to take up slack by pulling on the line as the piece falls. Like Stephen said, timing is everything, theres just a very small window to take up the slack and then beginning to let it run.

Pulling the slack out as the piece tips over lowers the load by shortening the drop...that's one great feature of a ratcheting bollard. That's different than winching it tight before cutting. Does the GRCS work that way?

Yes.....you can safely stand out to the side of the capstan and pull on the rigging line as the piece comes over. When you pull, the winch will turn taking up the slack. I think its a moot point though, because to effectively reduce the load, you should be letting it run to a stop anyway. And if your letting it run, the block doesn't see the full dynamic load anyway

Speculation here Top but i think people try to play a game where they pull the slack in really fast as it falls then catch it and time it perfectly to let it run. To me its a risky maneuver that doesnt seem like it would really reduce that much shock. I dont know though never used any of those devices.

I understand. I just think the gain implied is moot because if the piece is let to run anyway, the block never sees the full potential dynamic load. So whats the advantage?

Maybe its just for the thrill of it... people always seem to look for ways to improve things whether a device or a process.

I am guilty as hell of that myself on many different occasions.

I've only used the GRCS on one job, and only used it to winch some limbs up/around, and to catch some chunks using the bollard. One thing I can say for certain is that if I'm negative-blocking big stuff, I will be using PolyDyne. I daresay it more than makes up for not snatching the slack out.

The idea behind pulling the slack it as a piece goes over is start catching the load earlier, lengthening the distance over which you are slowly catching the load, making it a smoother catch. Think about a piece that is tied ten feet above the block. If you let it free fall, it drops 20 feet before loading the line, achieving greater speed and force before you start capturing it. If while it is falling the first ten feet you take what slack you can up, you shorten it's free fall and start the capture earlier. Taking up the slack reduces the amount of force you have to absorb by slowing the fall.

The idea behind pulling the slack it as a piece goes over is start catching the load earlier, lengthening the distance over which you are slowly catching the load, making it a smoother catch. Think about a piece that is tied ten feet above the block. If you let it free fall, it drops 20 feet before loading the line, achieving greater speed and force before you start capturing it. If while it is falling the first ten feet you take what slack you can up, you shorten it's free fall and start the capture earlier. Taking up the slack reduces the amount of force you have to absorb by slowing the fall.

Yeah, that

Ya, me, too. I guess you'd be really hard pressed to maximize that. I was thinking 4' up for a half-hitch/ marl, then another foot to the RB or other termination. You would have to be pulling the log back toward the cut, which would be potentially dangerous. 10' was a bad example, however, if you were blocking it down and pulling in some, you would gain more control sooner.

If you aren't pulling in the slack, where you tie it off does not matter. If you're pulling in slack it will.

If thats the case why not just tie it close to the butt end of the log, that would shorten up the free fall and start the capture earlier no?

I think you guys are over analyzing it, with alot of perceived gain and no real gain.

My thought is that if the rope is run up the center-line of the notch, and all slack is pretty much removed before the cut is made, as the piece goes over, is the rope not going to follow the front of the piece? I mean, it's not like the piece is going to drop off the side of the cut and introduce 3' of slack into the system. I would think you'd have maybe 6" of slack introduced before the momentum itself began to take out the slack as the piece catapulted off the cut. If you use a really deep hinge, you would have more slack, of course, but it still seems negligible.

What I mean is, if you tie it close, there is no slack to pull out, so why add slack only to pull it out? Seems redundant.

I usually cow/timber hitch a block right underneath where I cut, and then tie the log off right above the cut.

Isnt that how it is usually done... or are we back on 'near balance point rigging" again?

Back