STERLING SCION 11.5 mm

While we are on the subject of Sterling Ropes, anyone tree out the HTP 11mm?

Someone contacted a couple of days ago saying they had been given it to try out but would only use for access he has kindly sent it to me to try out.

Any feedback? I usually climb on the BDB or the RR.

Thanks.

Im a big Sterling fan, everything they make is super nice. I have been climbing on 11mm HTP for a long time, with the Hitch Hiker and the Rope Runner. I almost always base tie, which should be noted. Its very low stretch, and I avoid getting into short rope situations with it.

The Scion has a really nice feel to it. Sterling worked a lot with Rick Denbeau on this rope and it shows. Rick knows his stuff and so does Sterling.

Well the rope arrived and it is 3/8 or 9.5mm. Not sure if they boxed up the wrong one or it was an error elsewhere.

Oh well, got 200' of 3/8" sat here doing nothing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well the rope arrived and it is 3/8 or 9.5mm. Not sure if they boxed up the wrong one or it was an error elsewhere.

Oh well, got 200' of 3/8" sat here doing nothing.

Damb, was getting exited for a review!

I'm currently on htp with the wrench and I love it man , whats the deal with your rope rich? htp?

What core does the scion have ?........

Jesse, it is the HTP 3/8" which I can assume is 9 or 10mm. They do the HTP for both sizes. I was supposed to get the 11mm which would have been great in the BDB and RR.

What dia HTP are you running the wrench on?

Cheers.

I'm on the 11 Rich.
Man thats a score, that'll be a super good access line .
I think any smaller then 11 for working on is just too thin.

Got my hands on some Scion, got it out of the package and like WTF this stuff is smaller Dia. than Tendril. Anyway ,ran it up 100' base tied, Gave it several trips each on the RR ,HH and RW. Definitely smaller in the hands than Tendril. Seemed to stretch out allot when I put my weight into it but I did not notice any bounce at all. Ran it on the HH with 9mm ArbPro: worked great in the CT foot ascender and my RKA (redneck knee ascender) which uses a Petzl Croll . Tended up the rope and hand tended better than any other rope/cord combo I've tried so-far. Ran it with the RW with 9.3 EpiCord, worked flawless. Slipped after decent on the RR with the Ballard full open, smooth otherwise. And that's my 2 cent review.

IMGP0004.jpg

I thought the Scion was supposed to be bigger than Tendril. It certainly looks like it in the TreeStuff vids. I really liked the Tendril for a couple of months and then the cover started to wear and come apart way too fast. I wrote Sterling about it and never got a reply. Kind of left a bad taste for Sterling, back to Samson.

I had the good fortune to have 600' of Sterling HTP in 10mm, for SRT work, when I was still working for the USFS. That was a fine piece of line. It was a true 10mm, by my own micrometer measurement. Lightweight...600 feet was under 35 pounds, iirc. Strong too, and next best thing to zero stretch you can get in a rope.

We used it to great advantage at the TreeHouse Zipfest back in...what year was that? 2011, maybe? Saved SOTC's bacon when he got stranded halfway down the trial run rigged zipline, made a fine long letdown, didn't it Willie? :)

I have two chunks of 9mm HTP. I like it. It makes a good line to tie to my 120' or 150' 1/2 inch climbing line for an SRT Base-tie. Best of both worlds. Light weight for a portion, and choice of rope diameters on the climbing side. A small amount of bounce for energy absorption in case of a slip.

1.6#/ 50'.

Anyone else try the Scion yet ? Ive been using it with the Hh and 9m ArbPro , still liking it. Slippery grip when wet. Maybe all new ropes are. Don't remember.

Back