Stahl's logging supplies

SkwerI

Treehouser
Recently I was shopping for saw chain again. I usually but Stihl chain in 100' loops but since I am no longer doing treework full time I can't justify the prices they are asking. And even by the roll it's practically as expensive as buying by the loop at the local saw shop.

I truly dislike Oregon chain because it is too soft and stretches too quickly. Many say they have different chains but they all look alike to me and their coding system is gibberish to me. I recently treated myself to a new Husqvarna 395xp and it came with Husqvarna X-Cut chain on it. I have run it for a few jobs and sharpened it a couple times and really like it so far. So I began shopping and found it for $375 per roll at Stahl's. That's over $100 cheaper than Bailey's, and Stahl's has free shipping for orders over $300.

So anyway, if you need saw chain or other Oregon or Husqvarna supplies, check out Stahl's. Website was easy to navigate and I got the box in 4 days. Welcome to Stahl's Sawmill & Logging Supplies - - https://stahlssupplies.com/

The Xcut is made by them in-house. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I also dislike Oregon chain. Stihl or Carlton is all I use, with a high preference for Stihl. I'll have to checkout the Xcut sometime.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
is‘nt husqy chain just rebranded oregon?
I used to think so too, but was set straight by several people in my chainsaw sharpening group on Facebook. Did some checking and they do make their pro chain in house. The retail homeowner crap is still made by Oregon or whoever. The X-Cut is distinguishable by the gold colored master link.

Nice site!

Btw Brian, the grease guns you recommended are still working beautifully :dude:

I really like the X Cut chains. I have 14”, 28”, and 36” loops of it. Granted, I’m comparing that with Oregon as I’ve not run but one saw with Stihl chain. John gave me a Sthil loop for the 2511T as a new saw “shower” gift and I like it better than the stock Oregon.

Generally, folks say oregon for racing and stihl for work. I have found it to be true in the nasties I cut.

If you cut mostly clean, oregon is just fine. I rarely have to sharpen my "up in the tree" saws.

How you sharpen makes a difference too.

Has anyone compared it directly with Stihl? I got a price last week for 20 loops of 20” loop from my Stihl dealer. XCut from Stahl’s is little more than half the price. 36” loops are a little less than half priced.

Interesting.

How do you think they compare, @SkwerI?

I’ve pretty well only used Stihl chain on hand saws. In general I doubt I’d get excited to spin my own loops without substantial savings that likely can’t exist when a loop is only $18.

I should perhaps get a chain grinder to go through my buckets of used chain… but I’d rather find a decent deal on new Stihl chain, ideally. My local dealer offered an underwhelming 8% discount on a couple thousand dollar order.

Last Stihl reel I bought was $430 if I remember right, but that's been a couple years. Dunno what he sells for today.

I agree on the time to spin loops probably not being worth it for 20”.

By hand saws you mean up in the tree top handles? I have stihl full chisel for that, can’t remember if Oregon has a full chisel LP.

Call Madsen’s, 2 for one pricing on loops. They’ll know on the full chisel too. They can’t ship stihl though.

And it’s about to be too hot to be outside here…I have pirate ship discount shipping, if you want I’ll go through that bucket for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has anyone compared it directly with Stihl? I got a price last week for 20 loops of 20” loop from my Stihl dealer. XCut from Stahl’s is little more than half the price. 36” loops are a little less than half priced.

Interesting.

How do you think they compare, @SkwerI?
My experience with one loop on my new 395XP was enough to convince me to buy a roll for $375. All other sources I found were $450 or more for x-cut. Oregon rolls are $450-550 and Stihl is pushing $700 per roll. If you look on Stahl's website linked above they have deals on buying a case of 30 loops at a time. That will be more than a full roll of chain. And if you do not sharpen chains then the x-cut is substantially sharper straight out of the box than Stihl. The advantage to Stihl is that it is slightly harder and will last substantially longer over many sharpenings. But since you don't sharpen your chains then you would definitely appreciate the cost savings.

Last edited:
I hand sharpen on occasion 😂. If we’re busy and have a strong supply of new chain, the occasion to sharpen wanes.

I figure I’ll order a case of 20” loops and see how it goes. A case of 28”/36” would last me an exceedingly long time.

. If we’re busy and have a strong supply of new chain, the occasion to sharpen wanes.
Do you grind them at home, or send them off to your local grinder? I understand it from a production standpoint, but something doesn't seem right when a tree company has a pile of 100 chains that were only used once or twice because they buy new ones instead if sharpening them.

I have a bit of a funny story: a buddy gave me his 028 to fix because it wouldn't start. I don't know if he even tried it, but I found the carb was clean, the gas in the tank looked bad. I put in fresh gas, it runs. I hand file the chain, and it flies through some dead hard maple. I give it back and he's cutting one of those dark bark white oaks with his brother, they are pretty hard. His 028 is zipping through it while his brother's 390xp is lagging behind. His brother couldn't believe it. Even I was impressed when I tested it.

I couldn't pay someone $10/chain to sharpen my stuff. Conservatively, that's $40/hr, and about half the chain cost. You'd be even money buying a new chain, and selling the old one for $10.

Back