SRT techniques for beginners

You can non destructively turn that hand ascender into a knee ascender pretty easily. It's size makes it a little chunky, but it'll work ok. You can then decide how much you want to pursue it. Buy a ready made system, modify the hand ascender further, or drop the whole thing.

A lot of little tips like these are really just temp solutions till you just dial in what works for you.
Wasn't it Jaime (Akimbo inventor) the one that made wrist straps for his ascenders using old pantins or petzl chest ascenders. I can't remember.
It was Richard Mumford iirc, its called the 'Wrist Rocket' a small ascender (the same one he uses for the SAKA) with a wide webbing wrist strap closed with velcro.
I have one and its useful, but I want to replace the webbing/velcro wrist strap with broad, strong elastic so I can rapidly pull my hand out if something goes a bit 'Uh oh' .
The way its set up at the moment, your hand is pretty much trapped, and you'd need two hands to get out of the strap or disengage the cam.
I figure with a similar width of elastic, it would be enough to keep it on my wrist, yet not so tight I can't just pull my hand out through the elastic. Project in waiting.

I'm late to the party but in the spirit of development chronology to try/follow I was going to bring up LOTS Lanyard over the shoulder. If your pantin is on your right foot an early approach for your left foot is/was a loop runner from a hand ascender down to your left foot, you keep it tensioned by raising your hand as you raise your foot. like walking and chewing gum;)

smoothness comes with repetition.

Ryan,
Got this image in a text today. It should be here in a few days, then I’ll repost it to you with a few other goodies.

IMG_0445.jpeg

It was Richard Mumford iirc, its called the 'Wrist Rocket' a small ascender (the same one he uses for the SAKA) with a wide webbing wrist strap closed with velcro.
I have one and its useful, but I want to replace the webbing/velcro wrist strap with broad, strong elastic so I can rapidly pull my hand out if something goes a bit 'Uh oh' .
The way its set up at the moment, your hand is pretty much trapped, and you'd need two hands to get out of the strap or disengage the cam.
I figure with a similar width of elastic, it would be enough to keep it on my wrist, yet not so tight I can't just pull my hand out through the elastic. Project in waiting.

I have one.

How about your teeth to open it? Possibly with an extension tab

Does yours have a lock on the cam. I thought an upward movement with the ascender could open the cam?

I bought it for an in- case- of injury tool (sprained finger, etc) or for other people with the need.

Being able to alternate the top hand while climbing is more ergonomic than always having an ascender on the top hand or bottom hand.

There is an M- system that a guy developed that used 2 handled ascenders, one on a 2'-ish extension and one regular. This allows the climber to be balanced. His system didn't use a multiscender. Fast but relying on ascenders for life support. Pre-SAKA/ commercial ropewalkers.

@Ryan, you could always buy a chest ascender off of Amazon and use that. They are short money. I bought one (a differen't one than shared here) in the same price range as this one and it works great. You can also find inexpensive bungee cord on Amazon as well and accessory cord to make a foot loop.

Yeah, I was looking at those ones on Amazon...

I scavenged some lanyard strap from a tagged out retractable lanyard at work. 1" wide and rated for life support so it should be okay for the distance from footloop to floater.
20231229_115924.jpg

Don't worry too much about capacities. It only needs to work. No ascender should be used as life support, so failure's only a nuisance. If it fails, you'd only be out a knee ascender til you fix it.

@Ryan, you could always buy a chest ascender off of Amazon and use that. They are short money. I bought one (a differen't one than shared here) in the same price range as this one and it works great. You can also find inexpensive bungee cord on Amazon as well and accessory cord to make a foot loop.

Trouble with chest ascenders is they are usually heavier than what we use on our feet or what comes with a knee ascender. Like the SAKA. Takes a substantial bungee to advance. Cheap enough, but bulkie. A SAKA is some of the best money Ive ever spent IME.
I've posted my Franken HAAS before. I used a Petzl chest unit.

Burnham,
Your DIY Kydex holder is out for the mail carrier.

Ryan,

I’m still awaiting delivery of the HH II

View attachment 134951
Thanks very much, Pat @pigwot . You are most generous.

What can you advise me on cutting and shaping the Kodex? @Bermy and @CurSedVoyce both report that the Holster will fit my original HH, so your pattern should not need modification.

I'm with Stephen. The SAKA is a good use of money. The one I made worked fine, but it just wasn't /nice/. I used a cmi foot ascender, which is a heavy chunk of aluminum. Fine when clipped into a rope, but battered my knee when unclipped. Your handled ascender is a good test of the concept. You can see if you even want to pursue the technique. Don't like it? It can be a hand ascender again. If you do like the technique, it's then time to decide about heavy mods to the hand ascender, buying a lighter foot ascender, or paying someone else to build it for you. If money isn't a stress, then my vote goes to buying.

Trouble with chest ascenders is they are usually heavier than what we use on our feet or what comes with a knee ascender. Like the SAKA. Takes a substantial bungee to advance. Cheap enough, but bulkie. A SAKA is some of the best money Ive ever spent IME.
I've posted my Franken HAAS before. I used a Petzl chest unit.

I have the Stein Cambo knee ascender and it has a normal sized chest ascender on it. I have my Amazon ascender next to it for comparison. The on the Cambo is actually much heavier than the cheap one off of Amazon; I think the body must be steel. Anyways, you can see it does have a thick bungee, and I have had zero issues with this device being too heavy. You can buy bungee of this thickness on Amazon and it's not that much more expensive than a thinner bungee. But you're not making a bad point or anything. Lighter is always better. I'm just saying that my knee ascender contradicts your claim and, more importantly, I've never struggled to use it. But yeah definitely would require a thicker bungee.

PXL_20231229_224336759.MP~2.jpg

How does it contradict my claim..?
You basically reiterated what I said.
It's heavier and requires a thicker bungee.
You really need to start engaging your brain before typing Knothead.
The SAKA and HAAS acenders use a lighter ascender and it will advance smoother with the lighter bungee as well as having the stiff tether to help it along.

Did you or did you not say that a chest ascender would be bigger than what would be found on a knee ascender? By virtue of the fact that my knee ascender has a normal sized chest ascender on it, it contradicts what you said -- at least in my case. My brain is fully engaged, @CurSedVoyce.

I dont know why I even say anything..... jeebus.
You made your knee ascender. You did not buy a SAKA or HAAS that has a smaller ascender. Others that have made them, like Gerry, have used Pantins, repurposing them, but they are smaller.
That is what I am referring to.
Since you used a chest ascender, it requires a bigger bungee than others.

I didn't make my knee ascender. I already told you it's the Stein Cambo knee ascent system. I knew what you were referring to. I was making a very basic point: not all factory made knee ascenders avoid using normal sized chest ascenders. And therfore, in the case of my knee ascender, which is not homemade, it contradicts your claim that a chest ascender is too large to be found on, and is not found on, a knee ascender. I'm not trying to give you a hard time here. I'm just trying to add new information and add awareness.

This makes me think of a story I just made up where two people are bickering and a third person enters the room and tries to be witty to clear the air and gets a few pity laughs but the people still glare at each other over forced smiles, knowing they shall meet again, and on that day there will be a reckoning!!

Back