Spur Ascenders

Grendel

TreeHouser
I was really skeptical of these devices, and thought for sure I'd spike my leg. I know some of the more traditionally trained climbers on this board thought they were a bad idea as well. On more than one occasion I've wanted to be able to SRT up with my spikes on, which seemed like an obvious need, so I bit the bullet and bolted a Powerscender to my Kleins.

Works amazingly well. HAAS on the other hoof and it was nice being able to stand on the rope with all the support of the shank and caddy pad. I've only messed around with it a bit, no work climbs yet, or to be had for that matter, but scooting up and down the rope was very encouraging.

Anybody else tried these? Or the Kiwiklimber version? Thoughts?

IMG_20160129_152821274.jpg

I made one. I like it. I'm not sure of using it with a knee ascender, I find it easier without, but I'm on small trees.

I put my footy on underneath my gaffs and put my homemade haas on my other foot,it's frikkn great on large removals,enabling me to come down for break/lunch! Wish the mounted version was on my list but I'm getting by with what i have soooo it's not...

I also put my footy on under spikes. It's great! No need for a knee ascender in these parts.

.....,it's frikkn great on large removals,enabling me to come down for break/lunch! ?....

Interesting! You find it easier to climb the rope with ascenders than using spurs with a top rope? With a self-tending ascender, I find it ridiculously easy to just spur back up. Same muscles and no swinging around.

I also put my footy on under spikes. It's great! No need for a knee ascender in these parts.

I have the same trees here, Levi, and make it a point to use a knee ascender anytime I use the foot ascender. It is not a prerequisite for just big trees. Using one leg to pump up a tree ergonomicly sucks.

I used to think it was a bad idea till I tried it. I've never even nicked my boot with my spurs while rope walking. I can see the reason for concern though. As someone else said, if it worries you, leave the gaff guards on till you reach your working point.

I don't think it'll happen even close to EVERY time one goes at it that way, Rich. But I promise you, once will be more than enough :D.

I agree with you. I am overly cautious when I do it. I don't use guards but I rope walk like I got to poop real bad. Well at least with Spurs on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's how I felt Rich, just going slow and really paying attention to the walking part. Didn't even hook a pant leg or anything.

I've been putting my foot ascender under my gaff also, certain trees its just easier due to angle or number of limbs/crotches to pass. I didn't realize there was a spur ascender that fit kleins, I'll have to look into that.

it's fairly new to the market. If you buy the ascender you might as well spend the 30 bucks extra and get the HAAS/SAKA plate as well. I'm stuck waiting for Mike/ Treestuff to make a set for bashlins. I own two pair and really don't want to change to something else just for these.

Interesting! You find it easier to climb the rope with ascenders than using spurs with a top rope? With a self-tending ascender, I find it ridiculously easy to just spur back up. Same muscles and no swinging around.

depending on the trunk, had a girthy euc just other day that was covered in loose bark and a little ivy,4' dbh... you can easily see the advantage in that scenario or similar.
If all the trunks were straight and clean it would probably never have happened. Rope walking is so much easier on your body (unless you gaff yourself)imo. If im up high on spikes for a duration,im probably not coming down for break unless I'm ropewalkin.

depending on the trunk, had a girthy euc just other day that was covered in loose bark and a little ivy,4' dbh... you can easily see the advantage in that scenario or similar.....

Well, kind of. There will always be that oddball that would be better to use ascenders and rope as opposed to spurs and rope but that's not on an average tree to me. I do have a very efficient rope-walking setup that I love to use but I don't find much difference in climbing effort with spurs if I also have a top rope that captures progress. When I don't have to worry so much about getting things just right, I can be pretty casual on how I use the flipline or even if I use one at all.

Could just be that I always enjoyed the ease of climbing with spurs and the fact that the trees I do now are just not the monsters that you guys are doing.

Rope walking is so much easier on your body
It certainly is on mine, especially on the large circumference, twisty or viney trees, but I'm holding off on the gaff mounted jobs. It only takes a couple of minutes to swap out to gaffs once in position and it gives me a chance to breathe a little after a long climb without letting my ground help know I'm gassed;)

Well, kind of. There will always be that oddball that would be better to use ascenders and rope as opposed to spurs and rope but that's not on an average tree to me. I do have a very efficient rope-walking setup that I love to use but I don't find much difference in climbing effort with spurs if I also have a top rope that captures progress. When I don't have to worry so much about getting things just right, I can be pretty casual on how I use the flipline or even if I use one at all.

Could just be that I always enjoyed the ease of climbing with spurs and the fact that the trees I do now are just not the monsters that you guys are doing.

big trunks are not as easy to spur up as little ones.

Back