Spruce Removal

• Thread starter TreeDimensional
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 4K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Especially frozen wood, right John?

At what temperature do you start getting freezing, and different wood characteristics? I've worked little frozen wood, since this is a mild coastal climate in OlyWA.

I figured that there are antifreeze chemicals in trees. Anything in solution will depress the freezing point. Pure water freezes/ thaws at 32 degrees F, but a saline solution, or car antifreeze solution depresses the freezing point (as well as raises the boiling point).

Only trees I've cut below freezing were some mountain mahogany, which are small, and some fir snags in snow shoes for a cabin that I was caretaking in the Sierras. The previous caretaker didn't put up any wood, when I got there at Thanksgiving to start my duties, the propane was out, the pipes were freezing, and I was cutting up wood chairs with a carpenter's handsaw to try to fight any more freezing pipes, ergo the snowshoe felling. While cumbersome, they were a lot safer than trying to exit the stump and post-holing to my thighs.

My experience is once it gets below 20 degrees for a while is when hinges start to act differently, things won't bend or they like to pop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For winter survival trees desicate their cells. This doesn't mean the water (of solution) is gone from the tree, merely relocated to outside the cells. It would be difficult for me to tag a number on what temp the tree has frost form in it. Again Mother Nature dictates the when and how the tree freezes. Our temps have been slightly below freezing at night, and in the mid fourties during the day. The un-known factor is the windchill, which causes most of our winter desication, and die-back.

Trees do create thier own anti-freeze, I just can't remember what it's called.

I never have noticed any difference in hinge function at moderate temps like those, Brent. I'd be thinking about it only if it has been staying way below freezing both night and day for a somewhat extended period of time.

Nice Notch..
anyone who says different is itching for a fight!

Sometimes taking off bigger bits makes for easier clean up. Why make 2 or three trips to the chipper when it will all go in one..

Back