Springboards

High Scale said:
Springboards in action, love the fish eye lens Angus!
Thanks mate! It was just a quick slap together for some of the guys we were working with. The fish eye is great in the dense post-fire regrowth (shots otherwise impossible in standard hd), Sadly it ruins the scale of things. Many of the trees were over 30' in girth. The smallest tree is the one I was on the boards, and it was about 15' girth at the base, but on very steep going. The boards were 1' above my head on the low side, the scarf at ground height on the high side.

It sure is beautiful forest you west coasters get to work in...

woodworkingboy said:
On the first tree in the Cascades vid, I was wondering why he tripped it from the back like it was a leaner. Trip cut way below the plunge cut. Was it a leaner?
VERY heavy leaner. 20' - 25' girth at the base, 10 degree lean, almost solid, ~130' tall. Didn't get the saw in the front of the tree more than 4" before it started sitting.

FWIW, there are a few photos on our website: Marysville Tree Felling Photos
Save gunking up the forum. It'd be nice if I didn't have to work AND take photos. At all the crucial moments I can't do both so I miss a lot of the good stuff.

:D
MasterBlaster said:
I'll break out my hooks n saddle/lanyard before I'd use a girly springboard. Walk around the tree more proper like.
Please come to Australia and be our competition! :P

Last edited:
JIML said:
on another note, Angus, sherbrooke tree's youtube account, a few months ago there was a video uploaded with some fancy fancy rigging in it, it disappeared shortly after I watched it.

I wouldn't mind watching it again but it was removed?

Haha I saw that you viewed that! I wasn't supposed to make it public because its part of the ISA presentation we are doing this year. It will be made public again after the conference, it will also have a voice over to explain what is going on. It doesn't make much sense without it.

The system is called Trivect, its the next level up from Opposing Pendulums which Graeme presented on in Seattle a few years ago. The simple version is.
1. you calculate the load
2. you measure the line angles
3. you tension the rope to computers specifications
4. you flat cut - the load remains stationary

In *extremely* delicate and high control environments we are using the system to remove Mountain Ash. The video shows 80' of head being lowered amongst clay sculptures. There are a few modifications to the system that can make it more efficient and less gear intensive, and *could* have application in wide canopies.
This system uses three lines, which means that you do not need opposing high points - instead, so long as you have at least ONE high point, the computer can control the load in any direction.

Haha I saw that you viewed that! I wasn't supposed to make it public because its part of the ISA presentation we are doing this year. It will be made public again after the conference, it will also have a voice over to explain what is going on. It doesn't make much sense without it.

The system is called Trivect, its the next level up from Opposing Pendulums which Graeme presented on in Seattle a few years ago. The simple version is.
1. you calculate the load
2. you measure the line angles
3. you tension the rope to computers specifications
4. you flat cut - the load remains stationary

In *extremely* delicate and high control environments we are using the system to remove Mountain Ash. The video shows 80' of head being lowered amongst clay sculptures. There are a few modifications to the system that can make it more efficient and less gear intensive, and *could* have application in wide canopies.
This system uses three lines, which means that you do not need opposing high points - instead, so long as you have at least ONE high point, the computer can control the load in any direction.

Good to know, it was a cool video!!

I recall, Ta-houne, or something along that line. Balancing a load between multiple angles is fun to figure in practical applications. The proof is when the load floats away.

You need some odour-eaters Burnham- I can smell them from here :lol:

I would love a pair- but as I work on hardtop most of the time it would be a little impracticle. I am always tempted to send a pair of boots over to be soled- maybe one day....

They have slip on traction spikes and coils for snow and ice that might do the trick for you for the very occasional use on a springboard.
http://cozywinters.com/shop/yk-pro....&zmap=YK-PRO&gclid=CKq327y-0q0CFasaQgodV1JdmQ
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ma...nqgM6-0q0CFQhjhwodsmnroQ&codes-processed=true

When using a ripped board from a tree, in place of a fabricated, cleated springboard, how is it installed?

Is is just a matter of cutting to size with a parellel upper cut and lower cut (possibly with a slight incline), with the area between beaten/ cut out? Is there more of a trick?

Make sure to angle the cut so the "board" tips up at the outer end...you'll get some sag usually, and it's way easier to stand on and more secure in it's pocket if it isn't hanging down away from the tree. Otherwise, you have the idea right. Obviously, the deeper and tighter you can get the board, the better. I have used a plastic wedge underneath a pole to snug it tight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have not forgotten this thread. I got the job, but someone else came & underbid it after I had been awarded it. Took him 6 working days for a 2 day job & smashed up a 660 in the process :) As a result the springboard tips are still a pile of metal on the workshop floor. Might just have to pull my finger out ........

Back