Springboards

pete mctree

Treehouser
Do any of you own them?

I have a few trees to fell on some seriously steep ground and I think that using them will be the safest option for me. But I cannot purchase them here in the UK, so I am going to fabricate some. I am in need of some pictures and dimension so I can make the best I can. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I guess you don't have Jerry Beranek's 'Fundamentals' book? There are some photos of them in use and a drawing of the metal shoe at the end that goes into the tree....no dimensions, but I think you could pretty much extrapolate. I can post a scan if you like. Just about to have dinner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have the book Jay, the pics were my starting point. I was hoping for something a little more detailed

Yeah, it just occurred to me that I should have gotten Jerry's permission before making the offer. Glad you have it.

Spring boards are not used much in the second growth timber today. When a board is needed most fallers simply use a limb or sapling, and leave it in the tree they felled and go on to the next. less to carry around. The old spring boards are collectors items today. to be sure.

They still use them in logging competitions. I'd poke around those types of websites to look for one. I think the board is just a board and its the sleeve on the end you need to find.

They still use them in logging competitions. I'd poke around those types of websites to look for one. I think the board is just a board and its the sleeve on the end you need to find.

I got two kicking around somewhere. Last used them over 20 yrs ago when I was into competitive springboard chop. Got the iron tips from an old logger on Vancouver Island , bolted them to a couple of 6 ft pieces of 2X8.

Willard.

antique-springboard-crosscut-saw-axe-man-logging-tool_150527849990.jpg

This picture kind of gives you the idea of what the sleeve does for the slab or board.

The board is not just a board...the only right way to do it is with vertical grain, tight grain, too. If it's not vert. grain, the board sags badly under the sawyers weight. Here in the PNW, the preferred wood would be Doug fir...golden in strength to weight ratio.

I've been haunting barn sales and second hand shops in big tree western Oregon for 20 years, trying to find spring boards, or even shoes, with no success. I've often wondered where they all went to.

We still board up quite regularly - it was only last week we had a mature stand of ash in steep country to do. They're a life saver.
If you've only got one or two, doing what Gerry recommended is by /far/ the easiest option. They sure get cumbersome in the regrowth by about 11am.

I'll get some photos of the toes and put them up. bbs.

IMG_1104.jpg
The very fine end on the board is extremely important. This should be protected from as much as practical - especially in transport. I seemed to have picked the most banged up tip out of the set... fail.

IMG_1099.jpg
30cm ruler, give you an idea of the length of the boards

IMG_1101.jpg
Underside of the shoe

IMG_1102.jpg
Profile of the shoe

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg
Boards taper at the end

IMG_1100.jpg
Square profile

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg
Topside of shoe.

Nice, Angus.

I'll point out that caulk boots sure would be a blessing when you're dancing on a wet springboard :).

Here's a few pics of a made-to-need board, some might remember seeing these pics from a hazard tree removal contract I administered a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• Img_0536.Jpg
    Img_0536.Jpg
    884.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Img_0535.Jpg
    Img_0535.Jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 21
  • cropIMG_0535.JPG
    cropIMG_0535.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 24
Those are great pics, Angus. Very much different style though than I have ever seen here, but the bit, the most important part, is the same. I'll try to take a few pics of some of the boards that my friends still, hopefully, have.

This is fantastic. Thankyou Angus. I will show the pics to my friend who is going to do the fabrication for me and I promise to document & share what we make.8)

You need some odour-eaters Burnham- I can smell them from here :lol:

I would love a pair- but as I work on hardtop most of the time it would be a little impracticle. I am always tempted to send a pair of boots over to be soled- maybe one day....

Graeme used to use them in competition, until I saw Old Monkeys pics I'd never thought of there being other types. Of course that seems silly in retrospect...

I'd be interested in seeing what the shoes are on your boards Gerry - it was only Friday night I was looking at the photo of you boarding up 150' off the ground! Hell of a spot to board up with a broken arm! ;) :O

I'll point out that caulk boots sure would be a blessing when you're dancing on a wet springboard
They do wonders on the tension side of the wood, as it turns out :lol:
IMG_1106.JPG

It'll be cool to see what you come up with Pete :D

I think it was a broken foot or ankle rather than arm but still, even whole and unbroken, very impressive feat!

Wow the story keeps getting better. But Willie delivered the straight skinny on it.

What wood do you guys down under use for your boards, Angus? Burnam said it right for us west coasters. Vertical grain old growth Doug Fir. And they do have a good bounce that you can trust. Sawn dimensional boards can split. Really only good for the cross plank staging

I want you guys to know it is wonderful to be able to sit on the sidelines here and read y'all discussing springboards...I have seen pictures and will probably never use one...but for pros that have used them -- and do still use them -- to compare notes...well, it is an honor to get to listen in...keep talking.:)

I used to jump off a spring board every now and then. It was about 18" wide and 8' long. One end was bolted down to the edge of a concrete swimmin hole. Never did have a chainsaw though, was afraid it would weigh me down in the water.8)

Back