Springboards

I've always wondered what it would be like combining sports.

Like... football and golf.

Tiger lines up for the putt... quiet please.... quiet...
AND HE'S SACKED AT THE 1 YARD LINE!

:lol:

Some buddies and me did try playing a cross of baseball and skeet.... we called it baseskeetball. :/: Good for the batter, bad for the ball. ;)

I want you guys to know it is wonderful to be able to sit on the sidelines here and read y'all discussing springboards...I have seen pictures and will probably never use one...but for pros that have used them -- and do still use them -- to compare notes...well, it is an honor to get to listen in...keep talking.:)

Springboard Fest 2012?

Any hardwood is good, so long as its clean. Messmate, Ash, Blue Gum, etc. Most guys racing are using a hardwood, tapered down to save a bit of weight.
We've got cedar in ours at the moment, seems to have lasted well especially with the abuse from the falling boots.

Is much mature wood still logged on the west coast these days? After visiting a 90 year old stand of Red Woods I've decided I *must* get over there and have a wander. Just amazing.

With this mention of vertical grain hardwood I get this vision of quarter sawn white oak weighing about 85 pounds .

Springboards in action, love the fish eye lens Angus!

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XR7KF_bwkow&rel=0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XR7KF_bwkow&rel=0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Pacific northwest rainforest! Looks like a Western red cedar he was falling.

Yeah Angus, just as Willie described it. West slope of the Cascade Range, northwestern Oregon. That's taken at fairly low elevation for around here, about 1800 feet. Annual rainfall 80-100 inches. The tree felled is indeed a Western red cedar.

The stand there is oldgrowth. Dominated by Douglas fir, Western hemlock, Western red cedar. A smattering of grand fir. Understory trees would be smaller w. hemlock and w. red cedar, bigleaf maple, red alder, vine maple, Pacific yew. Serious brush, too :).

I made and used a springboard a few times.

on another note, Angus, sherbrooke tree's youtube account, a few months ago there was a video uploaded with some fancy fancy rigging in it, it disappeared shortly after I watched it.

I wouldn't mind watching it again but it was removed?

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
On the first tree in the Cascades vid, I was wondering why he tripped it from the back like it was a leaner. Trip cut way below the plunge cut. Was it a leaner?

I made and used a springboard a few times.

on another note, Angus, sherbrooke tree's youtube account, a few months ago there was a video uploaded with some fancy fancy rigging in it, it disappeared shortly after I watched it.

I wouldn't mind watching it again but it was removed?
What did you make it out of?

Never made one, but it seems like wood species variation would make some preferences. Straight grained Ash seems like a good choice, not so heavy but resilient.....or a good fir as has been already advised. Lots of woods would work given the thickness, just being straight grained a big plus.

If you're just knocking out a one time use board on site in the woods, hereabouts I'd chose a small western hemlock, 6 inch diameter or so. Before felling it slab off four sides of about six feet of the tree from the base up.

I'll break out my hooks n saddle/lanyard before I'd use a girly springboard. Walk around the tree more proper like. :drink:

Back