splicing Cousin Black Widow

You don't have to use a locked brummel a straight bury will be just as strong if not stronger, but a straight bury is very easy to undo when not loaded. That is why with a straight bury whipping or lock stitching is key.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
sorry everyone I am portuguese and missed a key point in my question...the resulting splice needs to go on mechanik prusiks

That's the straight burry splice. Id also recommend locked brummel, can't find an instruction video from samson.

Search lock brummel on your favorite search engine

so got myself a Zigzag and a rope Petzl Control 12,5mm...pics included.
Whats this splice?
There is some kind of lock stitching in the first 12" 30cm.
Looks like the cover as no core in the eye,cover is buried in itself for about 35 cm

Attachments

• zz.JPG
    zz.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • zza.JPG
    zza.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
It's all new to me but I am no master splicer. It doesn't look right to me. From what I read it's a double braid so my understanding is that it's 2 ropes in one, core and cover sharing the load 50/50. Sorry I am not more help.

The lock stitch is recommended for all double braid splices if i remember right, eliminates the off chance that it could come undone while not loaded. I would likely cut that off and do it right myself, and deconstruct what they did and report to them. That is why i splice my own stuff, if it's wrong i know and it's my fault :lol:

what splice do you guys have for the mechs???
or everyone prefers knotting??
does the petzl splice seems wrong/dangerous/not HS?

What rope is that? What does the manufacturer say on how that rope has to be spliced? If they shortcut the splice in order for it to feed it in the device i personally wouldn't climb on it, which is how you were making it sound. Where/ who did the splice?

Last edited:
No i don't, if they did it you are fine. I was under the impression that a store spliced it for you. It looks like a kernmantle rope, which is a different spice anyways because it's not a double braid.

where I live theres no splice services,unless you do it...remember this is portugal,all kit of mine cames from france or germany or uk.
Did anyone ever got a bad splice from a shop/service from this forum???
When is out thats a splice I would like to learn.meanwhile Petzl,Cousin and Courant will get money from me

I never got a bad splice from a shop, but paying somebody else $20-30 to tie my shoe gets old. Splicing is not that hard to learn and worth learning especially in this business. It will take some practice and $ to learn but soooooooo worth it.

course you are right,dont get me wrong,thats what we should all learn...I splice my climb and rig ropes double braids.
The main reason we buy only double braid is we can splice it.
But I have to say"Im a absolute begginer"thats all I can do.
But this new splice is awesome.
Dont you splicers wanna learn it?
In here theres no splicing courses,only navy has some splicers and those are only for military.

Back