Spidey Sense and walk away...

CurSedVoyce

California Hillbilly
Not sure if this would go into the work pic thread... So I will just do this and invite anyone that has just refused the tree and walked away to post in here and pics.....

Lady asked me to do this one.. A valley oak over her house and the sons Bus/House. I did not see a good high TIP for it and took a look at the previous Limb removal cuts on the tree... And I had that old spidey sense go off...
So I referred her to the guy that had done two TD's with his bucket and had referred me for the easy stuff to her when he was too busy to handle it. That and when his bucket was down.. Andy and I refer work back and forth so I feel I am doing him right by giving it back to him also and sticking with the easy limbing he gave me. Not that I think this tree is beyond my abilities.. Just a gut feeling... And I don't want to step on toes. ;)
This is the limb over the house.. The Valley Oak is 36 DBH and the limb is about 16-18 ". The tips of the limbs are the highest of the tree at about 60 feet..

Attachments

• P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 14
  • P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 11
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here are some shots of some previous limb removal cuts and some rot. Also a collar on the next limb over... I would have to climb up and see how bad the damage the tree may have suffered.. But my gut feeling is usually right.. I am betting hollow as all get out... Or at least enough to be concerned about for rigging.

Attachments

• P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 11
  • P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 11
Best I saw for TIP was a crotch that would be even with where I would be cutting and it is at best 3 inch wood. I would have to put spurs on once I got to the limb and just use them and flip lines to get to the top cuts. As far as rigging.... I have a small spruce I could ZIP to.... Normally I would just set a high line across two tree adjacent to it... But everything around this tree is smaller..... :P I don't feel rigging this tree is a safe option... Crane or material handler on the bucket would be best... What say ye?

Attachments

• P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 10
Guess that you need to also figure your time factor and what the customer is willing to pay. It sounds like you are pretty busy these days.

Andy and I are pretty comparable in pricing ... Money is not the issue with her and she will wait till Sept. for either of us.. And like I said.. Andy is awesome with referring work and this was his account before he had bucket problems that are all fixed now.. She really likes him too.. So stepping on toes is a good concern of mine.

You live or die by the choices you make. The tree looks doable from the pictures but I have learned not to second guess the knowledge of someone who has viewed the tree onsite.

I have had my fill of iffy trees. We have done the same thing, referred to someone who could handle it easier. No contest. Like you said, it's not that you don't have the skill. Why put yourself in a situation you are uncomfortable with if you have a choice.

Dave

Good post, Dave. After reading it, I got this image of Stephen drinking lemonade in the shade, instead of working on the tree. It was a nice picture.

Good post, Dave. After reading it, I got this image of Stephen drinking lemonade in the shade, instead of working on the tree. It was a nice picture.

Now that's funny Jay!:lol::lol::lol:

It's more me up in the tree... hollaring or hitting the whistle to get someones attention.. LOL

You live or die by the choices you make. The tree looks doable from the pictures but I have learned not to second guess the knowledge of someone who has viewed the tree onsite.

I have had my fill of iffy trees. We have done the same thing, referred to someone who could handle it easier. No contest. Like you said, it's not that you don't have the skill. Why put yourself in a situation you are uncomfortable with if you have a choice.

Dave

That is a good post. Kicking work back and forth is really good for business to.

I agree Willie, Dave was very insightful.. I also agree it is do-able.
Andy has given me thousands in business... I might make 5-600 on that limb... I know he needs the work too... They are still paying off that forestry truck and chipper. Just in ethics I think it would be a good move :)

Easy peasy with a bucket, if you're worried about it at all pass it on like you said. You won't have to worry about it and a bucket jockey will make some easy money.8)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hWS2YXHpGYc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hWS2YXHpGYc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Currently I am waiting on the HO to return from OOT. I have called Andy and given him a heads up... If he and the HO decide I should go ahead and do it.. I will... I still think the bucket would be the better call on it and much more safe for the structure and efficient. I will refuse the tree entirely unless I rent a bucket truck if that tingle goes off again looking at it..

Andy and his bucket truck were out at that job site today with us. I was surprised to see them on the same day we were scheduled but it worked out good for everyone as the HO kept growing the job. Andy was training his wife on the bucket also and some rigging. She was happy as a clam getting to do the job and we all just kept helping each other out with stuff and cutting up each other for fun (verbally):lol:

Andy went up and checked out the limb and sure nough, it was hollow as all get out. The top to be taken was solid, but the supporting limb was in a bad way. It was a good call to have him do it. We all made money and went home. Had a great time working together and got more done than originally proposed :D

We all have future scheduled dates to return and make more money :D

Here is his wifey up in the bucket.. They were a little shy on rigging also so I let them use some I had with me. Wish I could have gotten more pics but I was rather busy limbing out back.

Attachments

• P1010163.JPG
    P1010163.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010164.JPG
    P1010164.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 5
  • P1010165.JPG
    P1010165.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 7
Back