spiderlift

• Thread starter TreeDr
  • Start date
  • Replies 608
  • Views 42K
No, I need it to do more tricks than just THAT to call it "far more versatile" It already operates slower and the leveling system is a PITA.

I need to hear more good points.

No, I need it to do more tricks than just THAT to call it "far more versatile" It already operates slower and the leveling system is a PITA.

The levelling system is a PITA, you mean to set-up actually have the room to get the outriggers out? Do they have to be in exact set positions or can they be offset to either side slightly to make way for obstacles and such?

Having learned the real price tags on these it's certainly not something I'll be picking up in the near future. But a guys gotta dream right? 38.5" appeals to me, I won't lie I find pushing/pulling levers alot easier than climbing.

I hate to sound like a broken record but my bucket truck with rope winch on the end of the boom is much more versatile IMO. Plywood can be laid across sidewalks or soft grass and fences can be removed if necessary. And I realize you cannot reasonably compare new equipment to an 18 year old rustbucket, but even with repairs I have less than $40K in my truck after 2 years and it's made me a heck of a lot more than that. How many years for a $150K lift to pay for itself?

The Spidelift can do a 360 on a single 4x8 sheet of plywood. You have two locking positions with the outrigers, besides being retracted. With the adjustable track system you can easily transverse unevenground. Because it is under 6' high you can get it in under overhead lines. Because of it's light weight you can use ramps to get up banks and retaining walls. The tracks exert very little ground pressure and minimize yard damage. Besides being able to get in through small gates, the size allows you to position you're self better on some jobs.
Just a few attributes of the machine. I am sure Dave can add more.

My 15GT needs just under 8 ft. width to set up with outriggers deployed. Like I have mentioned before, both bucket trucks and these lifts have their place and neither one can out do the other in all situations. The much more expensive 23GT as auto leveling, mine does not. Hit one button and the outriggers deploy and self level. Having owned 3 bucket trucks, the last one an Altec material handler, previous to my 15GT, if I had to choose, I would pick the spider. The reason being that I could not get the bucket to a lot of trees where the spider can go. Yes you can remove fences, but you cannot remove walls, roofs and doorways, at least not without making the homeowner very upset.

each boom has multiple extensions also which is more versatile. im looking forward to growing my business and buying a 23gt someday

Other than fitting through a narrow gate, how is it "far more versatile" than a bucket?
Very simple. It will get to trees & travel on ground that you will never get a truck too. When you are set up & working a tree you have far more reach from a position with out extending or moving the boom. This is achieved by the cages ability to rotate from side to side on it's own axis point at the end of the boom.

There is no variance in reach as you go up & down like there is with a bucket truck. The cage travels straight up & straight down

If any is squeamish about man lifts I would be one.Not afraid of them. I am just more comfortable working from a rope. With that said the outriggers dont bother me a bit. I wouldn't want some one thats green bombing & yard darting with really big wood, while working from it.

How do you figure it is a pain in the ass....:what: On my 23gt you push 1 button all 4 outriggers come down and lifts the machine up and levels it.
You can set up under a tree if needed and come up threw or under the the limbs. You can not with a articulated bucket truck.
You can set in a narrow set up. 7.5ft in the narrow set up.
Both booms telescope, basket rotates, can work indoors on electric power. 2 man basket. The turret is always level, road ditch, side of a hill, next to a terrace, ect.
You can set up 1 side narrow, other side wide, or any combination. You can have up to 3ft difference in height from 1 outrigger to another outrigger.
Cheap operating cost....:lol: Only holds like 4 gallons of diesel and that will run it almost all day. You can pull it with a car trailer, behind your pickup.
A lot more things but I'm tired, and tired of typing.
No one is telling anyone not to climb anymore. But in my part of the country it will do 98% of the tree's without climbing. And will go up and down from daylight till dark everyday. It will keep me doing tree work a lot more years, and save wear and tear on my sons.
It's a long term investment. Go price a new hy-ranger 65ft boom with a 10ft sissor lift, truck and chassi brand new and tell me how much they cost.
And I have a rear mount 50ft bucket truck and believe me. The Spider is far more vesital than a bucket truck....8)

I just wish they had a fiberglass bucket and a lower boom insert.

The operating cost of dedicated lifts are low as a snakes belly. I bought my lift in mid 05, thus far I've had to spend $280 on the electric motor controller, went out on a fluke last April.

I doubt I've spent over $100 on fuel in the past 2 years, and probably $25 on electricity.

An upcoming expense is going to be replacing the batteries, about $380ish, plus tax. It will take 20-30 minutes to swap them out. Eventually I'll have to replace the tires as well....

I hate to sound like a broken record but my bucket truck with rope winch on the end of the boom is much more versatile IMO. Plywood can be laid across sidewalks or soft grass and fences can be removed if necessary. And I realize you cannot reasonably compare new equipment to an 18 year old rustbucket, but even with repairs I have less than $40K in my truck after 2 years and it's made me a heck of a lot more than that. How many years for a $150K lift to pay for itself?

Ha maybe in 18 years I will sell ya my Spider for 40K....:P

If it replaces a full time climber...I would say about 3 years.
Say 20 bucks an hour =800 a week x 52 weeks = 41600 x 3 years =124800.
Not counting taxes, work comp, or ins. Just rough figures, for the sake of keeping it simple.
And I know of very few company’s that can keep a climber hired and climbing for 18 to 20 years.
And yes, I know there are some expenses that go with equipment. However, they should be minimal for the first few years....:)

Face it Dave it will never replace a climber. Does it know its the best there is? No. Does it give you attitude? No. Does it yell profanity from the tree? Does it catcall cute chicks as they come walking by the job site? I don't think so. Does it hit you up for raises every time you happen to make a little more money? Nope. Does it come to work bleary eyed and smelling of death and urinate out of the tree on all the brush below much to the annoyance of all the ground help(you laugh but I saw this happen)? Not a chance.

Just give it up Dave, your toy will never replace tree climbers.

Face it Dave it will never replace a climber. Does it think it know its the best there is? No. Does it give you attitude? No. Does it yell profanity from the tree? Does it catcall cute chicks as they come walking by the job site? I don't think so. Does it hit you up for raises every time you happen to make a little more money? Nope. Does it come to work bleary eyed and smelling of death and urinate out of the tree on all the brush below much to the annoyance of all the ground help(you laugh but I saw this happen)? Not a chance.

Just give it up Dave, your toy will never replace tree climbers.

Ahhh Yes I did forget about all those attributes. Alas Darin you are right, how could I ever replace that with a machine....:P

Ha maybe in 18 years I will sell ya my Spider for 40K....:P

If it replaces a full time climber...I would say about 3 years.
Say 20 bucks an hour =800 a week x 52 weeks = 41600 x 3 years =124800.
Not counting taxes, work comp, or ins. Just rough figures, for the sake of keeping it simple.
And I know of very few company’s that can keep a climber hired and climbing for 18 to 20 years.
And yes, I know there are some expenses that go with equipment. However, they should be minimal for the first few years....:)

So how does the machine cut down the tree without an operator / climber??!(They both get paid around $20/hr here)

Am I missing something? Does this have a chainsaw attatchment and have a mind of its own so no one has to controll it? Can you leave it at the job & when you get back the tree is on the ground?

I don't think so. You maynot need a climber but you WILL need an operator. So tell me whats the difference??

replaces the climber he would have to hire since he cant climb himself for the next 18 years where I believe the theory is that he would be able to continue tree cutting from the lift.

I don't care what y'all say I sure as hell want one. Now I just gotta start coining 'er so I can justify it! If a guy has the work to keep it busy damn I'd get one in a heartbeat.

What I understand is that a new truck mounted boom is much more expensive, but there are more good used examples around for guys like Skwerl to buy and use. Whereas there are next to no used spiderlifts around...

replaces the climber he would have to hire since he cant climb himself for the next 18 years where I believe the theory is that he would be able to continue tree cutting from the lift.

And I will bet my left nad that the spiderlift will be a memory in 18 yrs.

I do not see the longevity in that unit to be still working in 18 yrs.

Back