spiderlift

• Thread starter TreeDr
  • Start date
  • Replies 608
  • Views 42K
Does it over center?

Wesley is right the booms do not go over-center. They both do telescope on the 23GT and that makes up for, and works far better than a over-center boom.

You can reach say 32 feet to the side from 6ft to about 55ft, by using mostly the lower booms telescope feature. Kind of like a elevator straight up and down.

Plus the fact that you can generally get much closer to the work than a big bucket truck, that often negates the 50 ft. side reach of a big bucket.

very true.

per say, doing line clearance, you wouldn't be able to reach as much from one setup, The trucks we use(LRV56) have 46 ? feet of side reach, thats an extra 10 feet in each direction.

But the spiderlifts don't have insulated booms so they are out for line clearance..

Even if the spider lift had insulated booms, it would be very slow for line clearing.
The travel speed is just too slow. There is no one lift that is good for all work. The ideal situation would be a company who had lots of money and parking space and have about 10 different kinds of lifts of varying sizes. This is why our local electric company has lifts varying in heights from 38 to 150 ft.

what if the spider lift could be transported, and used from the deck of a flat bed truck? and the spider lift could be used on or off the truck. That would be very versataile.

It can, but the boom movement is not as fast as a regular bucket. I saw the city crews trimming a tree with an Altec bucket and that thing moved very fast. It was one of the fastest moving buckets I've seen....about three times the speed of my spider.

what if the spider lift could be transported, and used from the deck of a flat bed truck? and the spider lift could be used on or off the truck. That would be very versataile.

A large spider lift requires a larger footprint when elevated than the deck of a truck, plus the surface must be stable ie: no vehicle suspension.

A large spider lift requires a larger footprint when elevated than the deck of a truck, plus the surface must be stable ie: no vehicle suspension.

Yea but what if it could be secured to the truck, and the truck had outriggers

Yea but what if it could be secured to the truck, and the truck had outriggers

But thats a bucket truck...????

PS.

In the UK we have access platforms mounted on lorry chassis that have a working height of 260 + ft just large bucket trucks.

yea but youd have the option of driving it off the truck and thru a gate!
It'd be far better than a bucket truck.....

Think outside the box dood!

Yeah Burn you got it!

The best of both worlds is what Im thinking.

that is a great idea, you could build in a frame that you would drive into/under, and chain it down from there

zzr, I think you missed the point. Go back and read post #307 and #308.

I can see the point, but the problem is the certifiable connection between the removable spider lift and the vehicle chassis.

A spider lift (and some other types of mewp) have interlocks that stop the booms lifting above certain height unless the outrigger are down or extend-able legs are extended, each machine type has to pass type approval.

The problem being is that if an operator/driver didn't re-instate the safety systems as per type approval or the spider lift wasn't connected to the vehicle chassis properly the lift wouldn't meet approval. Plus insurance companies would run a mile from liability, hence self contained units, spider, mewp and bucket with set operating requirements.

It can, but the boom movement is not as fast as a regular bucket. I saw the city crews trimming a tree with an Altec bucket and that thing moved very fast. It was one of the fastest moving buckets I've seen....about three times the speed of my spider.

The trucks we use move pretty fast. Upperboom is pretty damn fast, the lower boom is alot slower but needs to be so you can control it.

Upper boom will just about drop out from under you if you jamb the controls down. Feet come up off the bottom of the bucket/layer of sawdust :lol:

Fall arrest worn of course.

Here is a example of what your talking about John. This is the 26T. You would still use the Spider legs to stabilize the lift even left on the truck.

Back