Spencer Tapes & Similar

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I made a couple pulls with the Husky yesterday. No complaints so far, but I think I'll tighten the recoil a smidge.

[QUOTE="lxskllr, post:

The eyelets attaching the nylon leader to the tape are a little sloppy. It's probably alright, but not as strong as it could be.

It measures ~¼" off, but it isn't a precision device, so I'd consider that within spec

I think I like the clasp on the Spencer better. This has a simple hook, and my experiences with these say they're a pita. Might not be a problem since you only clip it once. I have other clasps, including the Spencer type, so I can swap out if desired.

... pretty sure the connection is supposed to be so , allows it to move not break , I think your 1/4" difference is probably due to the stinger not being in the measure position when you checked maybe , agree on the snap

The eyelets aren't well formed. There isn't a bead around the whole thing on one side. It could allow the leader to peel away from the tape. It may not. Dunno, but it isn't as good as it could have been. The ¼" is a little ambiguous due to how the tape's used. I'm not concerned with that. If I get everything within ¼", I'll be pretty happy.

Side note... I need to spend some time figuring out how to make small copper rivets, and see if they work for repairing tapes. Making the flat end before starting is the tricky part. I'm gonna try clamping a wire in vicegrips, and see if I can peen it out without thrashing the body of the wire.

Side note... I need to spend some time figuring out how to make small copper rivets, and see if they work for repairing tapes. Making the flat end before starting is the tricky part. I'm gonna try clamping a wire in vicegrips, and see if I can peen it out without thrashing the body of the wire.
I was thinking about this on the way to the job today. Drilling a hole in a steel plate, putting the wire in the hole, peening the top, then knocking it out with a nail should work to make a rivet. I'm gonna give it a try. Just need to find some steel in a couple thicknesses.

Happen to be using mine this week , leader attach is two copper rivets w zero slop ... been a long time but I think maybe my Spencer was single rivet w a little slop , not sure

A lot of info in one picture. My Spencer tape. I think Bailey's called it a Flasher, a 66' tape in a 100' case.
I'm going to move that funny hook onto the end of my Spencer, because mine got ripped off.
A hole punch/riveting tool.
About 498 rivets, dime for scale. 20211209_144758.jpg

This is what I'm talking about regarding the eyelets...

IMG_20211209_150307.jpg

Note how the bead doesn't go the whole way around. Might be ok, but if I repaired a tape like that, I'd take it out and do it over.

Right there where the leader meets Steel , instead of two in a line Windsor has three not in a line , like Dave Shepard they look like steel , mine are super neatly peened ... okay it looks like yours are Brass maybe ? and not neat peen

The material doesn't bother much, but the poor quality installation does. I used brass eyelets repairing tapes, and those would have tens of pounds pulling on them regularly. The only failures I had were "freak" accidents where something thin would get between the splice and pull it apart.

Back