Spencer Tapes & Similar

lxskllr

Treehouser
I've been looking at these since the 90s, but they weren't quite right for my work. Well, I now have use for one, and I'm trying to decide on exactly which. The three I'm considering are Spencer, Husqvarna, and Oregon. What length do you all find most useful, and any preference on brand? I'm kinda liking the looks of the Husky(66'), but Spencer is the standard near as I can tell. Any opinions?

Spencer was the standard in my decades with the USFS. I liked the 75 footer for stand exams, but all the other jobs I was up for, the 50 footer was the best choice, mostly because it was lighter to carry on my belt all day. I had both, selected as was needed for the task at hand, day to day.

You'd never find one now, I suspect, but my very fav 50 footer was an old, and I mean OLD Lufkin brand 50 foot loggers tape. Lighter body than the Spencer, stronger spring. A beauty of a loggers tape. Somehow, one followed me home when I retired ;).

It was a collectors item 30 years ago...:D. Not likely to be found today, but who knows. I could be completely wrong on that.

I should add the length is sort of depending on how you need to use it. 50 feet is fine for log lengths but if you need to go out further for measuring tree height then a 75 is warranted.

Also figure out if you want a diameter tape on one side to measure dbh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Longer is better except when it isn't, right? :^D If I had 100' I could use 100' sometimes, but then you've got weight, and I suspect increased mechanism jamming. My primary purpose is measuring short length logs, but I could see using it for work some time. The 66' is interesting to me because it splits the difference between 50' and 75', and it's also of historical interest in my biz, though you don't really find chain measure around here. The rod(16.5') seems to be the old timey measuring unit here. I really only need length in feet/in, but if I could craft my perfect tape, it would be decimal feet on one side, and diameter on the the other.

Funny but true story about me comin out of suburban loggin into professional in Lake Arrowhead in the mid two thousands was the top dog in the area at the time, having heard of my speed lining abililities over valued commodities, invited me to remove the dead cedar over his office trailer, which could have been easily moved to accommodate the tree's easy removal. He was testing me to determine if I walked the walk?

Once the job was over and he, Tom Craven, out of Lake Tahoe, paid me in cash, and gave me a a Spencer Logging tape, as a bonus for a job well done.

I modified it for a lowering line retrieval line.

Loggers like their trunks 33 feet long.

Jomo

Funny but true story about me comin out of suburban loggin into professional in Lake Arrowhead in the mid two thousands was the top dog in the area at the time, having heard of my speed lining abililities over valued commodities, invited me to remove the dead cedar over his office trailer, which could have been easily moved to accommodate the tree's easy removal. He was testing me to determine if I walked the walk?

Once the job was over and he, Tom Craven, out of Lake Tahoe, paid me in cash, and gave me a a Spencer Logging tape, as a bonus for a job well done.

I modified it for a lowering line retrieval line.

Loggers like their trunks 33 feet long.

Jomo
Way stupid oversimplification, regarding log length, sir. You clearly do not know what you do not know, about this subject :).

Longer is better except when it isn't, right? :^D If I had 100' I could use 100' sometimes, but then you've got weight, and I suspect increased mechanism jamming. My primary purpose is measuring short length logs, but I could see using it for work some time. The 66' is interesting to me because it splits the difference between 50' and 75', and it's also of historical interest in my biz, though you don't really find chain measure around here. The rod(16.5') seems to be the old timey measuring unit here. I really only need length in feet/in, but if I could craft my perfect tape, it would be decimal feet on one side, and diameter on the the other.
Burnham and I would use our tapes for measuring distance away from the tree for height measurement with either a clinometer or a relaskop. Slope correction tables a must in steep country

I did that once on a dust survey around a quarry, Had to get a sampling of tree heights, and the terrain was very rugged. I went out by myself with my Brunton and a tape to get the heights, The Brunton measures %slope, so if you pull out 100', adding/subtracting the percentages gives you the height with no math.

You can squeeze a 100' Spencer tape into a 75' body. That was my stand exam tape setup, once I got some experience...

The chain length (66') and rod length (16.5'), are not really useful in today's world.

The chain length (66') and rod length (16.5'), are not really useful in today's world.
Not using modern gear, but you still have to deal with them all the time. They show up in deeds from the ~1880s down.

Yup, rods are still used on portages in the BWCA. All good.

B, how the hell do you pull up a thread from 2008 just like that?

Eidetic memory???
;)

Not really, though I do have a pretty good memory of SOME things (do not ask my beloved Ms. M about the rest, please :))

The search function is really the answer, Austin. If I can recall a term or two, I can often find a thread or post that pertains.

Different story up top bro.....

IME anyway.......

Which ain't much in the scheme of things arboreal, despite a lifetime tryin to figure it out.....

I'm fully aware that I'm lucky to be alive bro........

Jomo

I have not the first clue what you are trying to say, Jomo.

Please elaborate for my thick skull, if you would.

Perhaps I should be banned for spoutin jibberish about life aloft......

33 foot logs are so old school........

Jomo

Old son...there never ever has been any one log length preferred by any logger, because every logger cuts to the log length required by the mill accepting the logs. And that changes not just from month to month, or week to week...it could change day to day.

Don't pretend to know about things you don't. When I do that, I tend to make myself look dumb. It might possibly be the case for you as well :).

So 33 feet's assinne......

Gonna have to run that by Tom n Matt, both third generation loggers........

Jomo

Just ordered the Husky tape. One reviewer said it was better than Spencer, but more importantly, no one said it sucked. What I liked - 66', toolless tension adjustment, came with a nail installed. Also got some candy, and a prism mount for work.

Back