SideCar Motorscooters

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I saw this in a Buzz thread and was intrigued! They're Russian 750cc bikes that seem to be priced low as a mofo. I could actually carry my gear around on one of these. Sweet! I wonder if they are worth a shat.

patrol_34_view520.jpg

gearup_02_520front.jpg

Tourist_Red_RightView2_520.jpg

retro2007big.jpg

That thing would last about as long as it took you to go in the house after you parked it . With the problems you've had in the past I imagine some smart SOB would try to steal it . --Unless of course you chained a big mean dog to it .:|:

I like this type of bike, they are incredible!!
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQXXnytfqc

Download This Video
" width="320" height="280" autostart="false">

Download This Video ">Download This Video " width="320" height="280" autostart="false">

Download This Video " width="320" height="280" autostart="false">

Download This Video ">Download This Video ">Download This Video " width="320" height="280" autostart="false">

Download This Video ">Download This Video " width="320" height="280" autostart="false">

Download This Video ">Download This Video ">Download This Video ">Download This Video

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2tQXXnytfqc&hl=pl"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2tQXXnytfqc&hl=pl" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Here's a pic of The Two Fat Ladies" in the late Jennifer Paterson's vintage Triumph Thunderbolt motorcycle with sidecar. (900 or 990cc)?

Racing sidecars.

Attachments

• straight_on.jpg
    straight_on.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 71
It is Russian and copied off a 1930's BMW. So compared to current BMW's yes it needs some work to keep it going.
They are said to be better now than a few years ago.
LJ that is cheap for a side car bike. Most side car conversions run 5K plus the base bike you are using.

Sk750 Zundapp

Attachments

• m_WnW_sidecar.jpg
    m_WnW_sidecar.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 41
Butch, I don't know if you are still seriously considering one of these Urals. But there are a few things you should know prior to purchase. If you have got a lot of time on two wheels, three wheels feels really odd. When I first got mine, I actually thought "Oh My God What Have I Done ?" You crack open the throttle, it pulls to the right; let off on the throttle it pulls to the left.

The side car amplifies the noise of the motor into your right ear and until you are used to flying the car, right turns are a real nail biter. The side car wheel is in front of the rear wheel of the bike, so when you hit a bump, it is kind of a rolling motion. And, I must confess, I have yet to see a "normal" individual riding a Ural. We all appear to be a bit off. :D

Now with all that crappy stuff out of the way. I (now) love mine! It's extremely reliable in a tractor kind of way. You will definitely be able to fit as much gear as you want; either in it, on it or behind it. It is the only motorcycle I have ridden that everyone seems to like. It is rare that I pull into a gas station and not be accosted with friendly smiles and questions.

Dave

Attachments

• 060308 042.jpg
    060308 042.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 060308 045.jpg
    060308 045.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 060308 047.jpg
    060308 047.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 24
Any problem with parts and repair Dave? Also, is that sidecar wheel powered as well? (maybe on demand?)

It is Russian and copied off a 1930's BMW. So compared to current BMW's yes it needs some work to keep it going.
They are said to be better now than a few years ago.
LJ that is cheap for a side car bike. Most side car conversions run 5K plus the base bike you are using.

My thought was $13k would buy a lot of gas for his truck, or a Civic or other small car and enough gas to drive almost 60k miles @ $4.25 a gallon.

I nearly bought a bike until I realized I could get similar mileage from a far more versatile and comfortable vehicle.

If it is, that would be too cool.

Yes, guys, it has got it's own driveshaft that is activated by a lever. It gets amazing traction when engaged.

It is basically the only highway legal ATV in the US. Oh, yeah, and it has a reverse. :)

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome to the TreeHouse, Dave! :beer:

So what's the problems with driving it? How 'bout those right turns?

Oh, and I'm kinda 0ff, too!

Back