SideCar Motorscooters

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Dave! :beer:

So what's the problems with driving it? How 'bout those right turns?

Oh, and I'm kinda 0ff, too!

And, yet you seem so normal. :lol:

The problems with driving it...there are virtually no similarities to normal motorcycle riding. You don't lean in the turns, you steer (more like an ATV). So you have to retrain your instincts if you are accustomed to 2-wheel motorcycles.

Cornering needs to be relearned. Even though the overall bike is heavy, the side car itself is fairly light without a passenger in it. So the first time you turn right at any speed, the sidecar wheel will come off the ground. It feels like it is going all the way over and will scare the **** out of you. But you will learn how to control that. You can fly the sidecar wheel to get it over bumps on purpose. When your sidecar wheel is in the air it reverts back to a true motorcycle. So you need to "switch" back and forth in your technique. Once you learn the technique the sidecar can be "flown" while you are driving in a straight line. Always a crowd pleaser. 8)

And back to the driveshaft for the sidecar wheel. It is direct drive, there is no limited slip. So it is recommended only to be used on dirt, gravel or slippery conditions. It feels bloody awful on the pavement on a dry day. But like I said, it has it's own separate engagement lever.

Dave

P.S. Butch, thanks for the avatar. I would never have figured out how to do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you want another pic just post it. You get more out of the avatar dimensions if it is orientated in the portrait position over the landscape, usually. But this one looks cool.

I can't see how the sidecar comes off the ground on a right hand turn. Doesn't that lean it into the sidecar? It's on the right hand side, correct?

Odd.

It comes up because it doesn't weigh much and the COG is still fairly high. When you steer like an ATV the front wheels turn, turning the vehicle and shifting weight to the left. Since the side car doesn't weigh much, it's not hard for that weight shifting to the left to be more than it weighs, thus lifting a tire.

The sidecar is on the right but, remember, there is no leaning so the force has to go somewhere. Think of sitting in the center seat of a pickup truck and taking a sharp righthand turn. Your body wants to fall into the driver. Those are the forces that lift the sidecar off the ground.

Turning left, on the other hand, is a gas!

Dave

No,as far as I know only the Ural-Patrol and Gear-Up have 2WD.

Dave

Have you flew both and if so, any preference? I assume the 2WD costs a pretty penny?

Butch, you need to do a search on the Ural sites. Last I checked a Patrol-750 was $11,500. and the Gear-up 750 was $11,999. I ride the Patrol. The Gear-up is identical except for the paint job and it usually comes with knobby tires.

Dave

I guess what I was getting at was the price diff between the two options.

About $500. As it gets later my thinking gets even less clear than it normally is. Both the Gearup and Patrol come standard with 2 wheel drive. But I think they are still representative of the prices for Urals even the one wheel drive models. Seems like they add other bells and whistles to bring up the price.

There is a lot of good information out there on them. I just wanted you to be aware of some of their "not so often" talked about characteristics.

Dave

Back