Shoulda' gone BIGGER

No_Bivy

Treehouser
Thursday I used a 22 AT crane to take apart a dead oak. 40'ish at the base, but growing up through a Hickory we were trying to preservre. The tree was not very tall...like 75 maybe, and the crane could get close so I choose a 22ton.
It was a bitch since the hickory meant we had to make picks then boom down....not good. In addition, HIckory is some grabby shat, had to watch the LMI wire. Iwish these guys would retro the crane to a wireless model. Used the jib for limbs, then took it off for the trunks pics. Radies was 52' to the base, goood for 5k. Heaviest pic was 4100....the base of course.
It worked out, but a 50ton woulda been faster and could have gone a bit bigger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Used the "poor mans" rig-em-roll...aka second climber to rig horizontal stuff. I was a little sketched with the dead top...it was brittle. I wanted it butt heavy so as not to flip and possibly break, but not to big:O

I thought so too..... but crane guy was nervous cuz it was at its limit. Bigger would have been easier for him I think

the trunk.....de-based the jib. Rolled crane back another 10'.......went kinda small

last ones........4100 on the last chunk. 5K was max, which I guess is 85% of the load chart. LED bar was in the red:O

Paul, the big Huskys have a compression release button and aren't hard to start at all. I can practically start my new 395xp with one hand.

'practically'? :shifty:

My little 260 (the bigger of the two saws I own! ha!) has a compression button to start also, not one handed starting but certainly easier than without. :)

well.....I had groundie start it...then I hauled it up. Pretty close to the ground, 1 or two cuts aloft.

what was the diameter of that last cut, doesnt look big and looks to be only about 6' long. Pictures can be decieving but I cannt imagine it being 4100lbs!!

Was your operator smoking?? If so I want some:D

40"dia...it did weigh 4100. He doesn't smoke or lie...Twas heavy Oak

3968 on the woodweb.....it was probably 8'long, I did not measure, but it took up most of the bed on my one ton(11')

From the charts I made a few years back. Mark C has been using them for a couple years with good accuracy.

Diameter, then 2/4/6/8' lengths for Red/White Oak (62.5lbs/cu. ft.)
woodchart.jpg

the carbons gecks are awesome by the way......

That was an awesome "office chair removal", I was with you all the way..

That head would have me on edge till it was gone..
I cant quite see if you have the ends tied and just placed over the hook, or are the double ropes tied to TWO seperate legs coming from the hook?

Fantastic job, i love the "no damage" shot at the end, very tight DZ to be doing anything else.

The "green" sling looks great, up high in the tree but the "yellow" one used for the trunk looks to be closer to SWL than the crane did. Nice work on "cutting it in" to the trunk..

Im gunna go "remove it" again..lol.. Cheers, Derek.

That was an awesome "office chair removal", I was with you all the way..

That head would have me on edge till it was gone..
I cant quite see if you have the ends tied and just placed over the hook, or are the double ropes tied to TWO seperate legs coming from the hook?

Fantastic job, i love the "no damage" shot at the end, very tight DZ to be doing anything else.

The "green" sling looks great, up high in the tree but the "yellow" one used for the trunk looks to be closer to SWL than the crane did. Nice work on "cutting it in" to the trunk..

Im gunna go "remove it" again..lol.. Cheers, Derek.

tuflex green are good for 4800 chocked, those yellow one 5200 choked

Awsome work!! Very impressive!!!

I doubt I will do this long enough to get that good!

A crane removal isn't that hard.......just intimidating till you do a few. Just think sawinredneck......it could place you wherever you want. Bulk or not:D

Back